Good times at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection (Imbedded photos)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello gang...

Just thought I would post a photographic tour of some of the behind the scenes work I've been doing at the Pacific Rim. I was invited to join the volunteer team of local enthusiasts who help work on the collection with curator David DeGroot. I've been doing this for a little over a year now I think... working with David is GREAT since he's such a great horticulturalist along with being an amazing artist and all around good guy. I always learn some little tidbit that is very helpful when I'm there, and he deeply appreciates having an experienced hand.

These photos cover a variety of tasks from repot, wiring, styling, and general clean up for being on display. I don't have the exact name for everything because... well I just don't.... so please forgive me ahead of time. :cool:

I've also recently roped Eric into coming in with me on weekends when David needs a little extra help and he's been working on some of my projects with me.

These also are not my usual quality of photography since I was using my cell phone. Sorry about that.... lol Enjoy!

A sweet Juniper that looked like cousin It that I cleaned up and defined.

Another juniper that David had be redefining...

Chinese Elm Before and After

Dragged the hubby in to help with wiring while I worked on other trees... I love the way the back turned out with the foliar definition.

He is working on this one again on Sunday while I work on some other trees... what started out as my project is turning into his. lol I can't find the before photos where it looked a lot like cousin It. Imagine something about as bushy as the Elm forest.

Bobblehead David!!

More to follow...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Cedar before and after...

Sierra Juniper repot

Chinese Elm repot

White Pine repot... I didn't work on this one... I was busy wiring out the next tree...

I'm going to be working more on this one Sunday. It's a tropical Ohia Lehua from Hawaii. I'm wiring it out with the plan to hopefully have it on display this summer.

I know I have more photos in my old phone... if I can find em... I'll post.

Kindly,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Crazy how running around like a very busy woman with my head cut off gets in the way of having fun with my old friends.... I'm going to try and see what I can do about getting on more often... no promises... I'm running around on a ruptured achilles tendon to boot. ugh. :eek:

Eric and I have also been asked to put together a show for a section of the Rim.... so this July we will have a portion of our trees on display there for a month. Talk about kicking bonsai into overdrive. lol

And as to the name..... we are VERY geeky....lol glad you liked that!

Warmly,

Victrinia

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
V,

Must feel good to work on those nice trees. :)

Thanks for sharing.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
All I can say is Wow. Well, that's not all I can say. I think I might have to move there..lol

I am so glad you have these opportunities. You are definitley the talent that can maintain and even better these trees. I know it seems that you are the lucky one to have this collection to work on. However, I think it is them who are lucky to have you work on their trees.

One last thing. Can I have the Cedar (arborvitae)? ;)

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
V,

Must feel good to work on those nice trees. :)

Thanks for sharing.

I work hard to make sure David knows I'm very appreciative of the opportunity... he is equally grateful for the help. lol That poor man spends as much if not more time in meetings than he sometimes does with trees. The joys of being an administrator artist. Daniel has it great that way.... diane looks after everything for him so that nothing gets between him and the trees.

V

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
News from the curator is that he has finally submitted his updated material for his book, basic bonai design. The initial work was presented thru ABS in 1995. The chapters have doubled in numbers, so hopefully it will be out soon.

The guy in the yellow plaid shirt be me. Working with Vic is a joy and am glad to see her back here posting (hint: continue to encourage her) :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All I can say is Wow. Well, that's not all I can say. I think I might have to move there..lol

I am so glad you have these opportunities. You are definitely the talent that can maintain and even better these trees. I know it seems that you are the lucky one to have this collection to work on. However, I think it is them who are lucky to have you work on their trees.

One last thing. Can I have the Cedar (arborvitae)? ;)

Rob

Thanks Rob.... I've always appreciated your confidence and support. :) Free enthusiastic labor might put them on the luckier end of the stick, but they do amazing things to appreciate their volunteers... they do a private demo with an internationally known artist once a year to celebrate the work of those of us who come, and feed us like crazy every time we are there. lol

It's a win win all around, as it should be.

As to the cedar... you might have to duke it out with Eric for that one. lol It's a two man beast... which means you could get it all by yourself. lol The cart it's on is the largest one we have.

And as to moving here... I've been telling you that for years. I'd kill to take you on a collecting trip. lol Cuz you would make getting the monsters off the mountains a breeze. lol

V

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's absolutely wonderful to have your presence on the forum again; even if just for a cameo. Wonderful trees you have been working on. I seem to remember that elm forest from at least a year ago. Must require constant maintenance.

Kudos on your shows being in the exhibit. We'd all be glad to take a look at what you're preparing for display :)

Also, OUCH! I suffered an achilles injury years ago and it was a slow and painful recovery. Hopefully you don't have to stand too long while working trees. Wishing you a fast recovery.

Cheers,

B

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
News from the curator is that he has finally submitted his updated material for his book, basic bonai design. The initial work was presented thru ABS in 1995. The chapters have doubled in numbers, so hopefully it will be out soon.

The guy in the yellow plaid shirt be me. Working with Vic is a joy and am glad to see her back here posting (hint: continue to encourage her) :)

Benbow-san...

Turns out that some of my photography is going to be in that book....lol which is fine with me of course. I can't wait to get my hands on it!!! It's the one I always give to every passionate newer learner I can... it's so amazing. I think I even sent one to Rob a very long time ago. lol

And buddy.... it's an equal joy to get to work with you. :) Thank you for inviting me to join the group and talking David into it. You have added much to my life because of it... and for that I am truly grateful. :)

Hugs,

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's absolutely wonderful to have your presence on the forum again; even if just for a cameo. Wonderful trees you have been working on. I seem to remember that elm forest from at least a year ago. Must require constant maintenance.

Kudos on your shows being in the exhibit. We'd all be glad to take a look at what you're preparing for display :)

Also, OUCH! I suffered an achilles injury years ago and it was a slow and painful recovery. Hopefully you don't have to stand too long while working trees. Wishing you a fast recovery.

Cheers,

B

I'm hell bent on not letting it get in my way, but I am a hurting unit after each visit. Takes about an hour-fifteen to even get there before I work... so it's a really long day. I have shown the forest before... but wanted to put it in here with the body of work for those who probably missed it. :)

The gang at the Rim makes every effort to keep me comfortable and functional... even when I protest. lol They are a great bunch I tell yah.

Eric and I are eyes deep mapping out which trees will be used, we are slated to fill 8 six foot display tables covering four sections. I want to do a variety of sizes and types to show the breadth of what we work on... and of course it has to be of good enough quality, but I recognize it won't be exactly to the level of the Rim... the trees in the collection are purchased/donated/loaned from all over the Pacific Rim nations and across the US. They come from some of the biggest names and even least known names, but all have that elevated place in the art. Just being asked to do the show is an honor... and if nothing else, I hope it will demonstrate what a pair of backyard enthusiast can accomplish to the general public. So I regard this as a show for the little guys in love with trees. lol It's part of a series called Hidden Gems.

Warmly,

V

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Godspeed on the recovery and Thank You for sharing! I was missing your posts as it has been a good long while! Welcome back and regards from the North East!

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am so glad you have these opportunities. You are definitley the talent that can maintain and even better these trees. I know it seems that you are the lucky one to have this collection to work on. However, I think it is them who are lucky to have you work on their trees.
Thanks Rob.... I've always appreciated your confidence and support. :) Free enthusiastic labor might put them on the luckier end of the stick, but they do amazing things to appreciate their volunteers... they do a private demo with an internationally known artist once a year to celebrate the work of those of us who come, and feed us like crazy every time we are there. lol

It's a win win all around, as it should be.
I agree with Rob and agree with V that it is win-win. :)

Thanks for the heads up Dick. I am excited. Please keep us posted when it comes out. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Eric and I are eyes deep mapping out which trees will be used, we are slated to fill 8 six foot display tables covering four sections. I want to do a variety of sizes and types to show the breadth of what we work on... and of course it has to be of good enough quality, but I recognize it won't be exactly to the level of the Rim... the trees in the collection are purchased/donated/loaned from all over the Pacific Rim nations and across the US. They come from some of the biggest names and even least known names, but all have that elevated place in the art. Just being asked to do the show is an honor... and if nothing else, I hope it will demonstrate what a pair of backyard enthusiast can accomplish to the general public. So I regard this as a show for the little guys in love with trees. lol It's part of a series called Hidden Gems.

It is indeed an honor and a testament to how much you progressed. Here's a little guy cheering for you. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all the photos, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing the collection when we were there. (still kicking myself that we didn't get a chance to meet you guys..) It is quite an experience in person, the setting, the trees, the variety is amazing. And they are all such masterpieces. That JWP is a beast!
I'm glad that you are able to give and receive such a gift of stewardship with these magnificent trees, and the people who care for them.
Good to see Eric working too, I miss his eye for things, your's too!
J

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the photos, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing the collection when we were there. (still kicking myself that we didn't get a chance to meet you guys..) It is quite an experience in person, the setting, the trees, the variety is amazing. And they are all such masterpieces. That JWP is a beast!
I'm glad that you are able to give and receive such a gift of stewardship with these magnificent trees, and the people who care for them.
Good to see Eric working too, I miss his eye for things, your's too!
J

It is a wonderful place with it's own flavor... very different and formal from Elandan... but it just makes it that much more special to have two high lvl displays so close to each other. The fun thing about working there like I do is getting to see the pieces in development and the ones which are only rarely displayed.... and omg the organization......... it's a thrill to work in a place designed in every way to make that effort easy. David has it down to a science. lol

I regret that we didn't connect as well... but I don't doubt that we will at some point. :)

Hugs,

V

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, what a great opportunity for you...again! I agree with Judy about that JWP...I keep going back to the nebari photo and just staring at it:eek:. Here's to a (relatively?) uncomplicated recovery from your Achilles injury. Did you need surgery? Finally, here's to you posting more pics from wherever you and the hubby find yourself playing with bonsai, as the material is consistently outstanding. Take it easy,

Dave

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting, great trees, great situation for you and the collection

Met David when he was in Rochester for the symposium last year, saw his demo there and at our club meeting. Very knowledgeable and very easy to talk to. I'd love to have the chance to work with him.

Chris

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, what a great opportunity for you...again! I agree with Judy about that JWP...I keep going back to the nebari photo and just staring at it:eek:. Here's to a (relatively?) uncomplicated recovery from your Achilles injury. Did you need surgery? Finally, here's to you posting more pics from wherever you and the hubby find yourself playing with bonsai, as the material is consistently outstanding. Take it easy,

Dave

My ortho wanted to take the European approach... which apparently is non-surgical whenever possible, even with full ruptures like mine. He asked me if I plan to play soccer... I laughed.... he said 'then no surgery for you'. lol I was like..... AMEN!

Fortune favors the bold...? I'm not shy about asking for a chance when it presents itself. lol Fortune also favors those in the right places at the right time... I'm pretty fortunate to live in a very active area for bonsai. I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

I'll do my best to keep sharing. ;)

Warmly,

V

Top Bottom