Good Times

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well the Hawaii Bonsai Association "Bonsai Ohana II" Convention has come & gone:(
I personally had a great time! This was my first ever convention & definitely not my last. Living in Hawaii, you don't often get to rub elbows & speak with guys like Tohru Suzuki, Mel Ikeda, Dennis Makishima, Roy Nagatoshi, Lance Laney & Mr. California Juniper Harry Hirao.
Thank you HBA & everyone else involved for making me feel welcomed & comfortable. I met, made friends, & hopefully will remain friends with lots of bonsaist in Hawaii. I look foward to the next convention when ever that might be:)

I came home with 5 trees too many & as usual, pissed the g/f off:)

This tree was donated by Lance Laney Who flew over from Kauai & hand carried it to the convention. I won it at the silent auction by standing next to it & growling when anyone came near to bid on it:)

llos9.jpg

Sorry, I did not get permission from HBA to post photos of the demos, classes & exhibit area. I can however show you this tree, cause I kinda know the owner :)

9-27-0950.jpg

Thats all for now, until I get permission to post more photos of the convention, see ya!

molson442

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trees.I have to admit I used to go to riverbay bonsai just to admire that Azalea.Sure do miss Sean Kelly.

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Barry, the first tree is a sweet little olive shohin.

llo42.jpg

I'll keep working this tree & in a couple years, I hope to show Lance its progress.

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duane, Nice catch on the Olive shohin.
Looking forward to seeing more pics...

Me ke aloha pumehana,

~ Brudda Tom

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Nice !

keep it green,
Harry

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heres some pics from the Hawaii Bonsai Convention. Sorry my camera isn't the greatest. If anyone came to the convention & has better pics, please post.

This juniper was definitely my favorite, its very old & was dug from a neighbors yard. The owner is a lucky man!

9-26-09conv43.jpg

9-26-09conv23.jpg

9-26-09conv37.jpg

9-26-09conv18.jpg

9-26-09conv19.jpg

9-26-09conv20.jpg

9-26-09conv21.jpg

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
little more

9-26-09conv47.jpg

9-26-09conv53.jpg

9-26-09conv54.jpg

9-26-09conv55.jpg

9-26-09conv56.jpg

9-26-09conv57.jpg

9-26-09conv60.jpg

The shohin/mame pics didn't come out good so I can't post them. If I missed your tree, I apologise, I was having too good of a time!

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Demos

On friday Tohru Suzuki did a demo on a needle juniper.

9-25-0955.jpg

9-25-0959.jpg

The tree turned out beautiful & was auctioned at fridays nights dinner

9-27-094.jpg

On saturday Mel Ikeda did a demo on a sanjose juniper which also turned out beautiful & was auctioned at the saturday night dinner. That handsome guy holding the microphone is Mr Dennis Makishima.

9-26-09conv3.jpg

9-26-09conv17.jpg

9-26-09conv13.jpg

On sunday Tohru Suzuki did another demo on a sanjose juniper kengai & that turned out beautiful & was auctioned immediately after his demo.

9-27-0924.jpg

9-27-0965.jpg

There were more demos & trees auctioned but I didn't get them all. I was busy watching the workshops & talking with friends.

I was able to win this tree when it was auctioned & it is my very first mock orange tree.

9-26-09conv61.jpg

As I said before, I came home with too many trees but had a GREAT time!

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for taking time to post. Looks like you really had a very good time. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Great post Duane! Thanks for sharing it. That tiny olive is my favorite! It is about as sweet as they come. The show trees are all very impressive. It's nice to see all the tropical species. I am surprise I didn't see one of David Fukumoto's ficus or dwarf schefflera trees.
Si

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Si, I also thought I would see something from Fuku Bonsai. David must've been busy.

Top Bottom