good tree (botany) book?

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone have any recommendations on a good book that explains tree physiology? Any fellow nerds out there? :) All of my training is in animal (specifically human) physiology and I am someone who likes to know why things happen at a scientific level if possible.

Thanks.....

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Natural Science 101 (Biology) classes covered most of the basics I find useful in doing bonsai. Google provide a quick answer to most questions I have after.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't remember that far back :) I tossed most my undergrad books too.

Same here...but I remember enough of it or to look it up if needed. :) Sorry no real book I can recommend. When I need a book I usually go to Amazon and read the comments before buying.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone have any recommendations on a good book that explains tree physiology? Any fellow nerds out there? :) All of my training is in animal (specifically human) physiology and I am someone who likes to know why things happen at a scientific level if possible.

Thanks.....

My thoughtful response would be you have to understand the physical well before getting into that and this is a decent primer http://www.stonelantern.com/Botany_for_Bonsai_The_Science_Behind_the_Art_p/b1bot.htm. I never have seen a publication that deals with tree physiology separately although I am pretty certain Oxford has a large series of publications on the subject.

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since you already know some physiology, you may like Plant Physiology. You can get a good sample from the online supplement to the book. I also recommend Khan Academy videos - the series on photosynthesis, for example, is excellent IMHO.

Otherwise, a great place to start is the articles at evergreengardenworks.com which outlines basics like water and minerals go up in the xylyem, photosynthates and auxin descend from the foliage downward toward the roots in the phloem, blah, blah, blah and points to some further tree physiology info in books and online at places like the Warnell School of Forestry. I still think this is by far the best expose of basic/practical plant physiology.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I studied plant physiology and plant molecular genetics for 8 years... handful of courses during undergrad and as a primary focus during grad school.

Why am I telling you this? Because I have not found any of what I learned to be useful for creating better bonsai :(

But plants are pretty interesting, so enjoy the light reading :)

I think the above recommendations by young are a good start. Just don't spend too much money. Maybe post something on Craigslist asking for used textbooks. They are hardly worth anything soon after publication, as I'm sure you're well aware..

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't remember that far back :) I tossed most my undergrad books too.

FOR SHAME!!!!

The only one I want to get rid of is my GIS book. Such bad memories that class. If only Arcmap was not so awesome, Id sell that terrible book. Its like 150 new :(

This is the current text for my Plant Propagation class. I don't think we need the 8th edition do we? Nope, that's extortion at that price.

(It is a cool book though)A recent chapter spoke of a study using toothpicks soaked in auxins and impaled through the base of a cutting as a method for difficult to root species.

Last edited:
Top Bottom