Good vs. Bad Grafting Tape?

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there such a thing as bad or low quality grafting tape? In nearly all products (not just bonsai), there's at least some amount of 'you get what you pay for.' So I'm guessing it might apply to grafting tape, but it also seems like a very simple product. Is there any cheap grafting tape out there that just doesn't really work well or should be avoided, or is it pretty much all the same?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is grafting tape that will stick to itself if you stretch it a bit. There is also grafting tape that will not do that and needs to be tied instead. Which one is good or bad depends on how you prefer to work, I suppose.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
there is also good tape that has become old and sun and/or moisture or dust beaten…

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It’s all relative. I have used clear plastic bags from a 3rd world county. I have used both waxed and non-waxed tape. It’s what you are used to and can use well and have success

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
go to google scholar
search for grafting
look in the methods section -specific products will be there

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Best grafting tape is actually parafilm, a scientific lab product used to seal joints on lab set ups, bottles etc….stretchy, waxy and holes well..

I bought my last two rolls on Amazon. Well worth it!

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Grafting tape is such a specialized product there's not usually a heap of companies making cheaper knock offs.
There are several different versions now.
Parafilm is a recent development. It provide great adhesion so seals well but has low strength. Suited to grafting smaller shoots and evergreen grafts where the film covers the entire scion, sometimes referred to as 'mummy graft'. Parafilm also degrades in sunlight quicker so does not need to be cut off after graft has healed.

Older style grafting or budding tape is thicker PVC. Not self adhesive so just a bit trickier to start the binding and tie off at the end but much stronger so it will pull larger grafts together and provide much better support while the graft heals. Better if your cuts are less perfect

I use both depending on the type of grafting and the material I'm grafting.

Top Bottom