Goodbye For Now

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For once I am not leaving a bonsai forum after some upsetting incident!

I've not been active here at BNut for a number of months now due to the time-consuming rigors of preparing our house for sale, and during that time I've sold or given away all my potted trees, all the starter material I had been growing in the ground, and all my display slabs I had advertised here. So, I am leaving because I have no trees to post: essentially, I am no longer practicing bonsai.

I may come back and resume my connection to BNut once I've settled in Baguio in the Philippines in a few years, since I hope to resume the hobby there, and have packed my tools and my photographic equipment. I'm thinking I may even write and photograph another book once there, featuring the stories and works of a few of the wonderful but unknown bonsai artists there. We'll see: one major bonsai book is probably enough for one lifetime . . . but who knows.

My apologies to the folks with whom I made preliminary arrangements to sell some of my trees in the spring - given the practicalities and friendships involved here, it seemed best to let them go locally. Indeed, even my beloved Siberian hemlock, with the last remaining blood of the gulag running through its sap wood, was relinquished back to Olga during a chance meeting, in exchange for some vodka and other pleasures . . .

So, may you all be well and happy until we meet again, and may your trees do so as well.

Will/Grouper52

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Happy Voyages to you Will. I wish I'd had more opportunity to know you better, as I've always appreciated your take on bonsai and life in general. I do hope you check in once in a while. Thanks for all the thoughts over the years.
J

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bad Bad Bad Motherf__ker!

Your Humor, Knowledge, and Devotion are completely unmatched!

This remains my favorite post ever!
http://www.bonsainut.com/posts/255123/

When You come back....
The poetry thread will be larger!

Take care Good Friend!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Totally understand...and wish you the best on your new venture...may your journey there lead you back to your hobby once again. For you surely have much wisdom in that head of yours. Along with the passion...excited for you and the new path rising up to meet you. Hope all goes well as you make the transition...and that one day...we will see you here again. Until then...I wish you well...and blessings on your new journey.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best wishes as you embark on this new phase of your life! Very exciting, all that new plant material to learn about. I'm sure we'll see you back here at some point.

Chris

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck & long life.
Enjoyed knowing you during this phase,
now onward & upward.
Blessings to you & yours

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
"The Parting Glass"

Of all the money that e'er I had
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm that e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Of all the comrades that e'er I had
They are sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I had
They would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call

A man may drink and not be drunk
A man may fight and not be slain
A man may court a pretty girl
And perhaps be welcomed back again
But since it has so ought to be
By a time to rise and a time to fall
Come fill to me the parting glass

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Will miss you until you join us again. Prayers for safe journey.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck on your move and on starting up agen.
My wife's been talking about moving and said I would have to get ride of my (what I call trees) trees do to lack of room... I don't know if I could do it now... I definitely could not if I had good tree. Your stronger then I am.
Mind if I ask what the name of the book that you wrote?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everytime I read this title I think....

"I'm going to try and find some more!"

Sorce

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
For once I am not leaving a bonsai forum after some upsetting incident!

I've not been active here at BNut for a number of months now due to the time-consuming rigors of preparing our house for sale, and during that time I've sold or given away all my potted trees, all the starter material I had been growing in the ground, and all my display slabs I had advertised here. So, I am leaving because I have no trees to post: essentially, I am no longer practicing bonsai.

I may come back and resume my connection to BNut once I've settled in Baguio in the Philippines in a few years, since I hope to resume the hobby there, and have packed my tools and my photographic equipment. I'm thinking I may even write and photograph another book once there, featuring the stories and works of a few of the wonderful but unknown bonsai artists there. We'll see: one major bonsai book is probably enough for one lifetime . . . but who knows.

My apologies to the folks with whom I made preliminary arrangements to sell some of my trees in the spring - given the practicalities and friendships involved here, it seemed best to let them go locally. Indeed, even my beloved Siberian hemlock, with the last remaining blood of the gulag running through its sap wood, was relinquished back to Olga during a chance meeting, in exchange for some vodka and other pleasures . . .

So, may you all be well and happy until we meet again, and may your trees do so as well.

Will/Grouper52

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I should have grabbed the Siberian Hemlock dammit! I guess my thoughts were too distracted at what would happen if the submarine commander had walked in on you and Olga. Thanks for the information and inspiration. Enjoy the tropics.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have a great time in the Philippines. Excellent weather for bonsai trees....just new challenges....and you can handle them. I think for the time you'll find yourself totally occupied in your new surroundings.

The time zone changeover is most interesting. I'll toss a stone over the pond toward you later this year.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Grouper, safe travels. I've came across a few of your older threads and liked the styling of your trees. The Phillippines climate give you some new types of trees to tackle when you finally get back into the hobby. I'd love to grow pemphis, Fukien teas, and of course ficus. Good luck.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adios Will, If you find any good blues bands over there, think of me.

Top Bottom