Google search better than Bnut search?

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why does a google search provide better info on BonsaiNut than using the search on BonsaiNut?

D

Deleted member 21616

Can you give an example?

I personally love the BNut search function. It has been my best friend for the past year :cool:

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Search “southern live oak bonsai” on google and Bnut, see which one gives you the best results. I’ve done it multiple times with other searches in the past and always get better results with google. It will lead back to Bnut with what you want but you would think you could just search through Bnut and get there!

D

Deleted member 21616

I think it may have to do with the BNut search engine 1) doing a more thorough search through the thread, and 2) pulling up the threads with the most recent posts. If you go into "advanced search" and click on "search titles only", and then perform your search, you results should resemble googles, i think? I'm getting the same results that way

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have been using Google with "site:www.bonsainut.com" with very good results.
I don't remember when I started doing it that way but at the time I thought it was better.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn’t really matter to me. Many times I’m looking for some external info, then all the links lead straight back home to b-nut. This site doesn’t have such a great search function true that. But does it really matter when all roads lead back here anyway?

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Easy answer -- BNut searches for a keyword or phrase. Google searches for what you are actually looking for, and more complex results giving you better threads with what you are after. The algorithm that searches, on both sites, is completely different.... BNut is essentially a dumb database search. Google thinks about it for a microsecond and yields better results.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why does a google search provide better info on BonsaiNut than using the search on BonsaiNut?

One thing to remember is that Google has hundreds of software engineers working to improve their search algorithms. Our admin, Bonsai Nut, is just one person.

With that said, @Bonsai Nut has done more for bonsai than all those engineers combined.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh no doubt this is a great forum and Greg has done an amazing job! Just the search function sucks. :confused:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Search idiot on Google.
You know who's picture comes up.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
derek is right, the google algorithm just searches in a different manner, I usually start searching on the forum and if I can't find it I go to google.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No.
You know who.
Hes orange,has weird hair,pays exorbitant amounts for a shot of leg,kisses the ground Putin walks on and just outright lies.
And I think he might not even be able to read. Not sure yet.

Top Bottom