Got a black olive available.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Guy wants to charge people to remove it. It is 10” across trunk supposedly and the smaller around 8”. No major interest in trunks that I can see. Pics are zoomed in screenshots. He was asking $300! When I asked if it was for both he said nope each. If they were free I might dig them. Because free! But I’m not paying someone to remove their trees if they have no interesting features and they want rid of them! No matter how expensive an olive that size would be in FL. lol I’ll just buy 2 $300 6” olives and wait a few years. What do you guys think? Am I missing an opportunity by not taking them? Or dodging a bullet?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Can’t load pics via mobile. The site took away scaling option for some reason.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When spending more than $20 for bonsai, the value is ENTIRELY based on the interest, or appearance of the trunks. Nothing special about black olives, Bucida. If you find the trunks uninteresting, they are not even worth the effort if free, much less $300. The value of a bonsai is entirely based on appearance.

Definitely, you made a good call, walk away. Save that money for material that inspires you. For $300, you should get at least a "tingle", if your reaction is "meh", walk away. Some people have distorted sense of the value of bonsai. It is not your job to correct them, nor should you patronize them.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
No images showing up. But you say there is no interesting character. Put that into some good material for bonsai. Pass on this.
When spending more than $20 for bonsai, the value is ENTIRELY based on the interest, or appearance of the trunks. Nothing special about black olives, Bucida. If you find the trunks uninteresting, they are not even worth the effort if free, much less $300. The value of a bonsai is entirely based on appearance.

Definitely, you made a good call, walk away. Save that money for material that inspires you. For $300, you should get at least a "tingle", if your reaction is "meh", walk away. Some people have distorted sense of the value of bonsai. It is not your job to correct them, nor should you patronize them.

It’s not a bonsai place just a guys backyard so I’m going to pass. That was my thinking too. Olives are harder to find here but straight trunks are exactly no interest. Even after I chopped the 10” it would be years and years before I got out of slab of wood with branches phase. I’ll keep looking. There are some 4 ft. Y’all young ones I could wire into interest now and let grow for better results.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If in the back of the mind the itch for these remain.. Tell the guy you would be happy to dig if he fails to sell them. Leave your nr. If he calls, you have some practice pulling big stuff out of the ground, and who knows you might practice carving, wiring, repotting etc and in 2 years make someone else happy with it at an club auction.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But no, I never pay serious money for backyard digs. There is a 50-50 survival chance if you have to pull these at the wrong time of the year. (Either it lives, or its doesn't = 50-50 right?)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's where mine and many on the forum came from. Mind you look at all pictures. Some have chops. He seems to carve them now. But know what areas will bud and what won't. You drop some. Money do it with some characteristics that appeal to you.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If in the back of the mind the itch for these remain.. Tell the guy you would be happy to dig if he fails to sell them. Leave your nr. If he calls, you have some practice pulling big stuff out of the ground, and who knows you might practice carving, wiring, repotting etc and in 2 years make someone else happy with it at an club auction.
But no, I never pay serious money for backyard digs. There is a 50-50 survival chance if you have to pull these at the wrong time of the year. (Either it lives, or its doesn't = 50-50 right?)
I don’t think I want to gamble the money on a dig I’m not comfortable with. If he was looking for a tree service I’d offer to do it for free just for the opportunity. But I’m not paying to take out trees for him unless maybe he had different trees or easy to collect ones like bougainvilleas or focus or something else super easy to collect/root/backbud. Maybe in 10 years I’ll be willing to pay for something adequate that I can develop further but right now I’m looking at collecting as a way to save money and get decent looking trees. I am haunting clearance shelves at nurseries and trying to find opportunities to see good bonsai. I’m not paying to collect just for the practice I don’t think.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Here's where mine and many on the forum came from. Mind you look at all pictures. Some have chops. He seems to carve them now. But know what areas will bud and what won't. You drop some. Money do it with some characteristics that appeal to you.
Interesting that they seem to rebud only down low. Is that because dieback along the trunk is severe? Or is that his style? Definitely like the looks of these way better. If i got one with a trunk that had budding like that I’d definitely have to learn to carve it! Lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting that they seem to rebud only down low. Is that because dieback along the trunk is severe? Or is that his style? Definitely like the looks of these way better. If i got one with a trunk that had budding like that I’d definitely have to learn to carve it! Lol

Honestly, you would have to ask him. I am thinking he thinks ones like carved dead wood. If you look at this here section I see a corner. Like he split the olive trunk to make what he's selling. They are BEASTS...Take to cuttings. Mind you that is speculative. Which is why I said study the deadwood. Know what you are buying...I watched his listings for a good while before the one I finally chose to purchase. Some don't have all this dead wood. You just have to watch for them...study them. Remember, a back side of a tree isn't always a concern for myself...If you have a good front. That's my take...others may care. But...It honestly doesn't bother me. I look for characteristics that appeal to me...
Olive sale.jpg

Here is mine. All around the trunk will permit branching. There is a slight scar on top of this one. Slight...doesn't bother me...because it doesn't steal from what I have. Which is a monstrosity with exposed roots that many may not like...but appeals to me.
Olive holding it outside 2020.jpg

Olive holding it outside 2 2020.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
You sure about that? I’m always loading mine via mobile! Here’s one.......
Yep both failed and no option to turn size down to from original, large, medium, or small anymore. Used to work on iPhone. @bonsainut you broke it! Lmao

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Honestly, you would have to ask him. I am thinking he thinks ones like carved dead wood. If you look at this here section I see a corner. Like he split the olive trunk to make what he's selling. They are BEASTS...Take to cuttings. Mind you that is speculative. Which is why I said study the deadwood. Know what you are buying...I watched his listings for a good while before the one I finally chose to purchase. Some don't have all this dead wood. You just have to watch for them...study them. Remember, a back side of a tree isn't always a concern for myself...If you have a good front. That's my take...others may care. But...It honestly doesn't bother me. I look for characteristics that appeal to me...
View attachment 321124

Here is mine. All around the trunk will permit branching. There is a slight scar on top of this one. Slight...doesn't bother me...because it doesn't steal from what I have. Which is a monstrosity with exposed roots that many may not like...but appeals to me.
View attachment 321125

View attachment 321128
Yours is cool! Very different from anything I’ve seen.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yep both failed and no option to turn size down to from original, large, medium, or small anymore. Used to work on iPhone. @bonsainut you broke it! Lmao
I've loaded images from my phone with no issues. But...currently it's not permitting me. I get a line through the file number that I was trying to download. I had to jump on my desktop to load the same image...I'm not sure if it is my phone or the site to be honest. But sometimes...I can load it from my phone. I'm using wifi...with my phone. As always...when loading images. Cell services doesn't reach to my rural home setting. So I totally understand the frustration.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yours is cool! Very different from anything I’ve seen.
Thanks...apparently mine though in full afternoon sun. Gets a bit of shading from above it. *Noted the larger foliage recently. Moved to another bench with no shading...to see if the new growth stays smaller...or maybe, I have just another cultivar than some. But...thanks. It's not for everyone...that's for sure. But...I happen to love it's quirkiness.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I've loaded images from my phone with no issues. But...currently it's not permitting me. I get a line through the file number that I was trying to download. I had to jump on my desktop to load the same image...I'm not sure if it is my phone or the site to be honest. But sometimes...I can load it from my phone. I'm using wifi...with my phone. As always...when loading images. Cell services doesn't reach to my rural home setting. So I totally understand the frustration.
Mine isn’t working via WiFi or cellular and iPhone 11 Pro always fails on full-size pics because of file sizes. If he can get the scale down option turned on it should work again. I’m going to see if I can lower resolution in an app. Not near a computer at the moment.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine isn’t working via WiFi or cellular and iPhone 11 Pro always fails on full-size pics because of file sizes. If he can get the scale down option turned on it should work again. I’m going to see if I can lower resolution in an app. Not near a computer at the moment.
But I don't change anything to my image...just the device I share it from. So that size thing confuses me a bit. I don't change the size to share it...only the device. Confusing...

Here is what I purchased...Just a couple buds. For some reason...the oddity appealed to me. Man this was really hated early on. lol I actually have a good friend who thought I was a troll when sharing this on a Facebook group. Once he learned I wasn't a troll...we became friends.
78130121_2796399083714409_913842639701278720_n.jpg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
But I don't change anything to my image...just the device I share it from. So that size thing confuses me a bit. I don't change the size to share it...only the device. Confusing...

Here is what I purchased...Just a couple buds. For some reason...the oddity appealed to me. Man this was really hated early on. lol I actually have a good friend who thought I was a troll when sharing this on a Facebook group. Once he learned I wasn't a troll...we became friends.
View attachment 321131
That is kind of ugly before it grew out but interesting still. Once it grew out I could see it. The before picture would leave me wondering too! Lol

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Oh when I upload from phone it won’t let me use full size pics, I have to scale them back to lower resolutions. I’m almost positive this is to fit into upload timeout or file size restrictions. I haven’t tried from a computer yet. I’ll have to see if those fail too.

Top Bottom