Got a Bonsai tree as a gift

Reaction score
I cannot figure out what kind of bonsai tree this is. And it did not come with a tag. Please help :(( I just want to know what kind it is so I can properly take care of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 72

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what kind of tree that is. Maybe an elm, but, if you're not already doing so, make sure to grow it outside :)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looks like a Grewia, Lavender Star Flower. Are you keeping it indoors? If you just received it, put it outside in the shade for a week. Add your location to your profile, knowing your location will get you better advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought she'd👆know!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like its drowning...

I'd wager that those red rocks are glued on top and there's a soggy puddle of pure peat moss underneath!
PSX_20200731_231707.jpg
Is there a drainage hole on the bottom?
Get those rocks off somehow let the tree breathe! It will thank you! Good luck!🙂

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think @plant_dr is right - you’re dealing with the glued on rock situation - it’s something that mass producers do often. It’s a practice that basically keeps the tree alive long enough to be sold. Generally these trees need to be repotted sooner rather than later. The pot looks like it would have drainage holes, so likely removing the rocks will get you by until you’ve done enough research to where you’re comfortable repotting. If there are no drainage hole, a repotting (into something with good drainage) is definitely a good idea.

Top Bottom