Got a few free hours in Denver tomorrow

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I may have a few free hours in Denver tomorrow and was wondering if the Bill Hosokawa Bonsai Pavilion would be worth a visit, or maybe there is something bonsai related that I should see?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To answer your question about the Hosokawa Pavilion: Yes, it is worth a trip. It is not a large space by any means, but they usually have a few nice trees on display. I wish I had all my photos on my phone, but most are on my external hard drive at home. Here’s a couple from last May:
23A65C15-3146-47B7-B6A6-AA236CDEA2BE.jpeg5CF71D1F-43B9-4468-B71C-AC558E1AD05A.jpeg4FCB53BA-AFB6-4EAB-9B85-D68887E675C3.jpeg

I recognize that these are not all-world caliber trees, but it is a fun little stop nonetheless. The trees change all the time, too. I’m sure they’ll be different for your trip.

If I were you, I’d then go check out the rest of the Denver Botanical Gardens (the bonsai pavilion is within the Gardens). It is a really nice place, with all kinds of different types of plants. I absolutely love it there.

THEN. I’d go down to Machete Tacos in Cherry Creek for some tacos and a margarita (or 3) 😎. It is about a mile away from the Gardens. Cherry Creek is one of the nicer areas in Denver, and it’s absolutely packed with great restaurants if you’re looking for a bite to eat and not a taco fan.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To answer your question about the Hosokawa Pavilion: Yes, it is worth a trip. It is not a large space by any means, but they usually have a few nice trees on display. I wish I had all my photos on my phone, but most are on my external hard drive at home. Here’s a couple from last May:
View attachment 252620View attachment 252621View attachment 252622

I recognize that these are not all-world caliber trees, but it is a fun little stop nonetheless. The trees change all the time, too. I’m sure they’ll be different for your trip.

If I were you, I’d then go check out the rest of the Denver Botanical Gardens (the bonsai pavilion is within the Gardens). It is a really nice place, with all kinds of different types of plants. I absolutely love it there.

THEN. I’d go down to Machete Tacos in Cherry Creek for some tacos and a margarita (or 3) 😎. It is about a mile away from the Gardens. Cherry Creek is one of the nicer areas in Denver, and it’s absolutely packed with great restaurants if you’re looking for a bite to eat and not a taco fan.

Dude, Cherry Creek is a mall. If you want to eat better tacos, go to Santa Fe Dr. Better restaurants, Cap Hill

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IMG_4589.jpeg IMG_4558.jpeg IMG_4560.jpegIMG_4561.jpeg
I can't find the most of the pics, another camera/card used I suppose.
The orchids selection and number of are outstanding, but mostly behind glass=glare.
The Japanese gardens was a lot better than the bonsai display area for sure.
We were there in May, so the Irisis were in full display too. Stayed at the Marne Castle B&B.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 252620View attachment 252621View attachment 252622

I like that bloodgood. I have one that i regularly change my mind about shaping, giving away, or planting in landscape. At this point i just keep it on a bench because it always makes me stop and look at everything else.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is where the bonsai pavilion mentioned by OP is located. It is worth a visit
Was there at the gardens May 2016. Highly recommend the gardens.
Was sort of let down by the bonsai area at that time though. Was a very quick sachet through.
New England Bonsai...I easily spend 2 hours going through.
EDIT I don't remember a bonsai pavilion per se

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dude, Cherry Creek is a mall. If you want to eat better tacos, go to Santa Fe Dr. Better restaurants, Cap Hill

Haha, it’s up on 3rd or 4th. It’s not in the mall. Let me know if you ever want to meet up to talk bonsai and give Machete a try! I’ve never taken anyone there that left disappointed (or hungry!) 🙂

Was there at the gardens May 2016. Highly recommend the gardens.
Was sort of let down by the bonsai area at that time though. Was a very quick sachet through.
New England Bonsai...I easily spend 2 hours going through.
EDIT I don't remember a bonsai pavilion per se

Yeah, I wish it were much bigger. It’s more of a small outdoor space than a pavilion. Nice though!

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for all of the replies.
I did make it to the botanical garden and it was well worth the time/cost despite the heat. Not just the layout but also the fact that they were able to have such a diverse array of material in such a specific clime as Denver. Ironically the least healthy plant I saw throughout the grounds was a sage, which should thrive in those conditions?!?!
I was quite impressed with the maintenance of the grounds and health/layout of the plants, and I don't think I have ever seen a garden with the material so thoroughly labeled. No sooner would I see something and wonder something about it but then would see a label with the answer.
As for the bonsai collection, meaning no disrespect, I was a bit underwhelmed. It is a small collection and the trees while quite healthy are not very developed. However I must say that the only things I have to compare it to is the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Huntington collections, so my expectations may have been a bit high. Many of the trees looked collected so I think simply labeling it with text like "under development since 2008" was a bit of a disservice to the material. I think it would have been more impressive if there was more information about the individual trees.
Funny side note: while there, a small tour came through and one of the first comments was "I always thought Bonsai was a specific kind of tree..." Luckily the guide who did not seem to know much about Bonsai at least did provide a reasonably accurate response to that, and no blatantly incorrect information.

I did see a very nice group planting of aspen, which impressed me because I was told a long time ago that aspen were "not suitable for bonsai". [teach me to listen to advice on the internet]
The most notable thing I saw in the collection was the dead wood on this Limber Pine. I could study the intricacy and detail of the grain for hours (but it was 100F and my wife was eager to move on so I only got a quick snapshot).
20190718_113155.jpg deadwood.jpg

Attachments

• 20190718_113202.jpg
    20190718_113202.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190718_113202.jpg
    20190718_113202.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 35

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
IMG_4599.jpeg
Glad you were able to enjoy it. May/October is more comfortable, most kids are in school,
and when we normally vacation, especially the beach and Autumn hardwoods.
My issue with those dates are repots that need better care than they can receive while gone.

Funny story approaching the Denver area on I-70 (May) we were up oh 8500 based on her onboard altimeter
and it snowed quite heavy. Hadn't had her SUV that long and the roads were grooved deeply from wear/semis,
tossing us about with all season tires on. Got out of the snow and along side a rock cliff, we heard a POP!,
like a rock had hit the roof. Chugged on. Another mile or so, bang another pop. This was worrying me and I really thought
Springtime thaw was causing small rocks to fall from the sheer up mountains. By the 3rd and final pop, I realized what was happening.
Unlike a pressurized fuselage (I've never flown) our car was at the mercy of altitude change in pressure.
Bags of potato chips were popping!!!

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was "underwhelmed" with the bonsai display area, though immaculate.
What did you think of the Japanese gardens and pines and glass sculptures?
I loved the white solid LED like rope light in the sidewalks the tropical area. No individual lights or diodes to be seen. What is that???
Here's a picture of it.
IMG_4538.jpeg

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I know it's too late now but I was going to suggest seeing Todd Schafer's place also. I was there last year and he has some beautiful trees. That and the fact that he is a very nice guy. Really sweet. My son adores him.

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_163257267.jpg
    IMG_20190519_163257267.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 45

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
did see a very nice group planting of aspen, which impressed me because I was told a long time ago that aspen were "not suitable for bonsai".
Denver would be the place you could do it if possible.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all of the replies.
I did make it to the botanical garden and it was well worth the time/cost despite the heat. Not just the layout but also the fact that they were able to have such a diverse array of material in such a specific clime as Denver. Ironically the least healthy plant I saw throughout the grounds was a sage, which should thrive in those conditions?!?!
I was quite impressed with the maintenance of the grounds and health/layout of the plants, and I don't think I have ever seen a garden with the material so thoroughly labeled. No sooner would I see something and wonder something about it but then would see a label with the answer.
As for the bonsai collection, meaning no disrespect, I was a bit underwhelmed. It is a small collection and the trees while quite healthy are not very developed. However I must say that the only things I have to compare it to is the San Diego Wild Animal Park and Huntington collections, so my expectations may have been a bit high. Many of the trees looked collected so I think simply labeling it with text like "under development since 2008" was a bit of a disservice to the material. I think it would have been more impressive if there was more information about the individual trees.
Funny side note: while there, a small tour came through and one of the first comments was "I always thought Bonsai was a specific kind of tree..." Luckily the guide who did not seem to know much about Bonsai at least did provide a reasonably accurate response to that, and no blatantly incorrect information.

I did see a very nice group planting of aspen, which impressed me because I was told a long time ago that aspen were "not suitable for bonsai". [teach me to listen to advice on the internet]
The most notable thing I saw in the collection was the dead wood on this Limber Pine. I could study the intricacy and detail of the grain for hours (but it was 100F and my wife was eager to move on so I only got a quick snapshot).
View attachment 253644 View attachment 253646

What gorgeousness in this tree:eek:o_O😻! Really want such a one some day soon. Thank you for posting.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Denver would be the place you could do it if possible.
Aspen grow like weeds. Search Pando the Trembling Giant.
Largest living organism on Earth.
I hate them in my yard, has ruined my lawn. I have 1/12 of an acre
and had THOUSANDS of stiff brittle soldiers popping up and all interconnected
to the mother tree (not barefoot friendly by any means).
I had a gorgeous straight Ky Midnight Blue grass stand, dark as any grass I've seen. Not now.
Anywhere I needed a shade tree, I just didn't cut the grass. In 3 years I had a 20+ ft shade tree, 30' by 4th year.
This ruined my interest to try my hand at using some for bonsai, but still could try.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have them in AZ as well. It just seems the Aspen in the Denver area are so much more healthy and robust than our spindly AZ examples.

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are the trees back at the Denver botanic gardens? I was there 3 months ago ant there were only a few ficus.

Anyway, there's a greenhouse in Littleton that has lots of bonsai, and other interesting plants!

Top Bottom