Got a Juniper? Bonsai for Christmas. Don't want to kill it. Help.

Jalcon

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all. So I got a bonsai tree for Christmas. I'm not a total newb to this, but just about one.
It doesn't have a label, but I think it's a juniper? Maybe someone can help me out there judging by the pics.

My mom, who bought it for me said the lady told her you could keep it inside. I know enough about plants to know that I highly doubt you could keep a juniper inside for any considerable length of time for it to be healthy. I'm not sure if I can just put it outside though, as it gets pretty cold here in Pennsylvania. I could put it in my garage...which remains about 50-60 degrees, however has NO sunlight. I could put it in my shed, which does have a few windows, but would obviously be very cold...but at least protected from the wind.

Also, whatever soil it is in, which is rocky on top, is like glued on or something? No idea why someone would do that - I guess so costumers don't make a mess when picking it up, but you can break it up some. I mean, how would you even water it? I guess from the bottom.

I guess my questions are, what should I do with it to keep it alive? It's the middle of winter. I feel like it needs transplanted into some real soil mix/media, but perhaps this isn't the time. It also doesn't have much shape to it at all, but is very healthy. I would at least get rid of one of the shoots near the base to give it some "bonsai appearance". Maybe this isn't the time for that either.

Should I just stick it outside, and water it? If you guys were given this plant, what would you do with it, lol?

Thanks all.

Pics -

tree1.jpg
tree4.jpg

Last edited:

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Jalcon it would help if you let us know where you live (climate). Put it outside protected from wind and extreme cold and dont let it dry out. If your in a northern climate leave it alone till spring. That will give you enough time to research your juniper's care. Without knowing where you live that's all I can say.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They don't like to watch chestnuts roasting on open fires but are open to 8 maids a milking.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey Jalcon just saw your from Pa. Yea just keep it form the coldest temps low teens and leave it till spring. When the tree is dormant they dont need light. Your tree looks healthy. You do have to get it out of that soil and pot but that can wait till spring. You can probably take the glued rocks off the top. Just peel them off they will start to break. Your shed seems like a good place. The wind will do the most damage when its cold. Perhaps you can wrap a towel around the pot if it gets real cold.

Top Bottom