Got a new tree today

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Hello,
So the other day browsing around I found a fellow selling off some of his trees. Really nice guy and I came home with a couple. This one is the oldest, and I liked it and wanted to share a picture. I don’t know what I am going to do with it, so I thought I would share it so here it is. The background I have on it is that it was grown in a very hot arid desert climate so the owner used large pots to avoid watering constantly in the sweltering summers. It has dense and compact, but draining, organic soil. The bottom of the pot has one center hole. I am thinking of trying to drill a couple more, from the bottom...but the single hole does seem to drain water well...and he grew it in this pot the last three years he told me.
I live by the coast (southern California) in a much more temperate climate. It’s too late to repot here so I will wait till next January to move to a smaller pot...and then again the following year.
I am considering a little wiring but that’s about it. Thanks for your considerations and suggestions.7F338A9E-ADDF-4FC2-9301-D9B0E634A807.jpeg

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Here are some more images for your viewing. I was also told it had a long 3-4’ leader that was cut a year ago. The top picture shows some bonsai soil...that is a mere couple of handfuls I put on top just for looks :). He was using some slow release fertilizer that I scooped off the surface (osmocote I think...bluish round balls) and I pressed a few bio gold pellets around the perimeter of the pot every couple of inches. I water with hose water that is carbon filtered into a 55 gallon drum and ph down is added to get to a ph of 6.5 as my tap water is higher here in the Los Angeles coastal area.
I was also curious to know what season/timing is best for planting these trees in the ground? I have a smaller one I would like to plant in the ground. I am guessing the early spring? Thanks again for any input.D56B2646-CDD8-4EE6-B71A-179E09A51C9E.jpegF2CB2E6D-94CF-4882-A7F3-E2098C2B011D.jpegEF902D6D-50A9-4235-A4F5-E68A4DE3E08C.jpeg856B9AD6-31A3-425D-AF98-5BDCDA6577C1.jpeg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the need for Repot coming, it's time to let it rest and regain strength enough to undergo, what seems like will be a rather invasive rootwork. Unless you intend to keep it potted so deeply, and not cut that wraproot off.

Aftercare is a bandaid, we should forget it exists, with appropriate prior care, aftercare is not necessary.

This tree has a "safe to Repot" value of about 50%. Wiring will get it down between 30-40%. That leaves an impossible to determine aftercare, must reinvigorate it all the way up to 100% again before doing work.
"Impossible to determine" because we don't know what circumstances will happen in the future, squirrels, a fall, a missed watering, brutal heat, etc..

You are in full control of preventative health "prior care". This allows you to get the tree to 100% before repotting, which allows you much more % points to take it down during repotting. How many points down is up to you and the tree.

If the tree doesn't make it to 100% before the time you want to Repot, you can just wait.

If the tree doesn't make it to 100% after the Repot, you can just wait for it to die.

There isn't anything really worth wiring except for "practice". It doesn't seem like you wish this to be a "practice" tree.

Seems a very feasible good tree can come from some of the first branch alone.

I'd get it to 100%.
Repot as hard as your payed dollar allows. (I would hope not much $ meaning go ham)
Then wait for it to get to 100% again, and chop it back to the first branch.

I believe it will have much to tell you during these years.

Sorce

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks yes I plan on just watering then no wire will try to get it healthy. I wonder what the further moves are. I haven’t the slightest clue. Last pic of the other side. Thanks again for the advice. 888BED7E-0DCB-43FF-9677-E33742D8554F.jpeg

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
With the need for Repot coming, it's time to let it rest and regain strength enough to undergo, what seems like will be a rather invasive rootwork. Unless you intend to keep it potted so deeply, and not cut that wraproot off.

Aftercare is a bandaid, we should forget it exists, with appropriate prior care, aftercare is not necessary.

This tree has a "safe to Repot" value of about 50%. Wiring will get it down between 30-40%. That leaves an impossible to determine aftercare, must reinvigorate it all the way up to 100% again before doing work.
"Impossible to determine" because we don't know what circumstances will happen in the future, squirrels, a fall, a missed watering, brutal heat, etc..

You are in full control of preventative health "prior care". This allows you to get the tree to 100% before repotting, which allows you much more % points to take it down during repotting. How many points down is up to you and the tree.

If the tree doesn't make it to 100% before the time you want to Repot, you can just wait.

If the tree doesn't make it to 100% after the Repot, you can just wait for it to die.

There isn't anything really worth wiring except for "practice". It doesn't seem like you wish this to be a "practice" tree.

Seems a very feasible good tree can come from some of the first branch alone.

I'd get it to 100%.
Repot as hard as your payed dollar allows. (I would hope not much $ meaning go ham)
Then wait for it to get to 100% again, and chop it back to the first branch.

I believe it will have much to tell you during these years.

Sorce
What depth of a pot should I shop for when I move to a smaller pot in late winter early spring? It in 8” now…? Can I cut that down to 4” come repotting season? Thanks

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
It’s got roots poking out the bottom holes…I’m guessing rootbound. Has been in this pot four or five years untouched.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I thought @sorce did a good job of explaining that the best course of action would be to leave it alone and let it acclimate to its new environment before doing anything. You repotted it and I don't know if you did any root work but you may want to reread what he said. Just leave it alone for a good long while. I wish you good luck, it's a pretty little tree.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I thought @sorce did a good job of explaining that the best course of action would be to leave it alone and let it acclimate to its new environment before doing anything. You repotted it and I don't know if you did any root work but you may want to reread what he said. Just leave it alone for a good long while. I wish you good luck, it's a pretty little tree.
It acclimated for half a year then I repotted it. It was in bad soil and rootbound. Where I live this is the time to repot pines…

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see you let it be for about 6 months and that may be enough. I'd wait before wiring it or anything else.

Again, wishing you the best with it and hope it does well for you.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I see you let it be for about 6 months and that may be enough. I'd wait before wiring it or anything else.

Again, wishing you the best with it and hope it does well for you.
Thanks yeah no wiring gonna just wait and see.

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
You did a good job, well done. Did you happen to take any pictures of the roots when you pulled it up? Or any from the repotting?
No I didn’t. But I did the repot three weeks ago January first and our weather has been mild and the foliage hasn’t started to die…yet…:). Just added some bio gold today temps have been above 50 every night.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
No I didn’t. But I did the repot three weeks ago January first and our weather has been mild and the foliage hasn’t started to die…yet…:). Just added some bio gold today temps have been above 50 every night.
lol yeah I lived in Long Beach for 16 years, you should be fine with the weather. Definitely don’t wanna jinx it, but sometimes they can take a LONG time to turn for the worst…. I’m in your corner! Fingers crossed, looks great!

Top Bottom