Got a nice little Wakaebisu Azalea at Lowe's.....

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
That's a steal

13 dollars? I haven't dug around the hardware store plants in a while. Looks like its time to go.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just don't mess with them much this time of year....It's not looking to good for this one, leaves turning yellow and it's not taking up much water at all.....It may bounce back come spring but I doubt it. I knew better but did it anyway....I need to learn to have some patience. On a better note my collected Yaupon's are looking real good and I did have the patience to NOT re-pot them this spring just 7 months after collecting.....I may even wait till spring of 2016....?

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Just don't mess with them much this time of year....It's not looking to good for this one, leaves turning yellow and it's not taking up much water at all.....It may bounce back come spring but I doubt it. I knew better but did it anyway....I need to learn to have some patience. On a better note my collected Yaupon's are looking real good and I did have the patience to NOT re-pot them this spring just 7 months after collecting.....I may even wait till spring of 2016....?

Brian
If you haven't already, move this one to almost total shade. Is this planted in 100% pumice?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nope....1/2 pumice 1/2 shredded pine bark/soil conditioner....The pumice on top has now been removed, it just kept the soil too wet. I can only water once a day so I'm not sure pure pumice would ever work for me. It is on total shade and protected from the rain.

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nope....1/2 pumice 1/2 shredded pine bark/soil conditioner....The pumice on top has now been removed, it just kept the soil too wet. I can only water once a day so I'm not sure pure pumice would ever work for me. It is on total shade and protected from the rain.

Brian

My inclination would have been not to do the straight pumice anyway, but more a mix like what you have there. Hope the azalea pulls through.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have done far worse things to the few Azalea I have and of the six five are doing just fine. Mine prefer being "damp" so you might consider topping the pot off with Chopped Sphagnum for a bit of water retention AND promoting roots at the surface. I really do not see any reason that won't survive unless you let it dry out and toss it in direct sun before it gets established. I will "guess" that in five to six weeks you will find it is back budding a LOT and in good condition for the Winter there.

Grimmy

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well the rapid yellowing of the leaves has stopped, I hope that is a good sign. I'll take some pics today and post. I haven't found anymore single trunks at Lowe's and I have been to 3 or 4 different stores.

Brain

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the rapid yellowing of the leaves has stopped, I hope that is a good sign. I'll take some pics today and post. I haven't found anymore single trunks at Lowe's and I have been to 3 or 4 different stores.

Brain

Good. If it continues to do well, I'd start moving it into more sun in early September. My satsuki sits next to my junipers and gets mid day full sun for 4-5 hours, but yours is stressed. Still, more sun equals more root growth equals a stronger tree.

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are a couple of pics from today....If you look close you can even see some new growth that it's putting on.

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2594.jpg

Brian

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The Phoenix azalea I reckon 😁, only 5 years later with no update
Charles

Top Bottom