got a sodalite from my gf, rock tumbling

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
never knew about them but she knows i like geology, just very generally
she could use a hobby (lol) and birthday coming up and she likes some crystals
(couple nice quartz around the house, etc.)
so by her gifting me this sodalite skull from Salem, MA (hocus pocus town, witch trials)
she made me realise she might like to turn some stones.
we do have some nice granite around where we live, and quartz.
20211018_083426.jpg
got her national geographic brand rock tumble and some raw zoisite (large chunks) that she can turn for
a week, and polish. if she can polish these rocks as well as she polishes my...jp. got her a pocket book too

81cK7-1BAfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81vgqHYt4tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg912FvpdyzeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
im going to try some local granite like these as well
the entire bottom of top white one has a slate bottom

20211017_081443.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where are the greenish chunks pictured in hand from?
those are being delivered today via amazon, here are what i got to choose 1 lb large chunk from
i almost got her sodalite but wanted to differentiate from what she selected for the skull

i should have thrown this in teahouse but w.e., a lot of these will end up as watering stones/top dress
for my bonsai haha

my last photo is local rocks from the beach im going to turn as well as what i ordered

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
be carefull mixing rocks. They need to be of similar hardness, else all will turn to paste except for the hard one.
(As a kid we had one of these at home, when I still went mineral hunting in mines)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
be carefull mixing rocks. They need to be of similar hardness, else all will turn to paste except for the hard one.
(As a kid we had one of these at home, when I still went mineral hunting in mines)
thanks and i saw something about that, granite has varying hardiness. since mine were tumbled in ocean, i am going to skip to finer grit straight away otherwise mica sections pit out and make inconsistent. ill try to keep like-hardiness together though and i guess granite needs special attention, but is possible

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That was nice of you! My son and I collected some petrified wood when he was in his fossil 'collecting phase'. I bought a rock tumbler myself to polish some of the smaller pieces. It takes some time but they polish up really nice. If you want some small pieces I can send you some.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry, but whenever I hear someone mention crystals, all I can ever think of is this...

Napoleon_Crystals.jpg

Top Bottom