Got crabs?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Malus Sargentii ‘Tina’ £5. Clipped. No wire. 40cm from pot. 0892196F-02C9-420F-ADE0-E218D348B114.jpeg63B4BEBF-839E-462D-998A-B9ADA1A7E949.jpeg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am going to have a crabapple one day.
It’s on my wishlist.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a "Tina" in my growing bed.

All I can say at this point is, it's a much slower grower than many other varieties that I have.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am curious, is it grafted or is that where the soil came up to? I am not that familiar with crabapples. I do have malus sylvestris I grew from seed and Japanese dwarf crabapple I got as seedlings from Matt online.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you buy this from a traveling arborist who travels up and down the river, selling trees from the side of his boat?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I am going to have a crabapple one day.
It’s on my wishlist.
Yes they are lovely. I have had a request from the better half to try and incorporate some colour and variation on the theme of ‘green twigs in pots’, so lo and behold, I have bought a crab apple, am waiting on bare root purple beeches in November, and will be adding pyracantha, various prunus etc. Strictly to keep her happy, of course.

This one will be mainly and clip ‘n’ grow to maximise fruit and flowers (or t’other way round) first, and bonsai second. At least, that’s what i’m telling myself...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I have a "Tina" in my growing bed.

All I can say at this point is, it's a much slower grower than many other varieties that I have.
Yes, they are a particularly dwarf cultivar, from what i’m led to believe. I wont expect any quick progress then. Still, it was cheap and cheerful. Just means i’ll have to get find a more vigorous variety.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Yes the graft is about half way up the trunk, just above where that odd air root is positioned. It may have been planted a bit deeper previously, but obviously not above the graft line. It is curious that it has so many air roots, however. Maybe I can utilise that to my advantage somehow.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Did you buy this from a traveling arborist who travels up and down the river, selling trees from the side of his boat?
Man I wish! No, i’m hoping that one day I can incorporate my love of home brew and small trees to create the Great Big Beer and Bonsai Barge and become that fella myself. I can sell it all out of a hatch on the side to passing hire boaters and day trippers... One can dream anyway.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
When you trim the roots in the future, try planting some. I find they grow really easy from root cuttings. Though your root stock is different from the top.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
When you trim the roots in the future, try planting some. I find they grow really easy from root cuttings. Though your root stock is different from the top.
I might just do that. Great idea. It’ll likely be a dwarfing variety m9 or m26 rootstock I reckon so that’s not the end of the world. The surprise is all part of the fun anyway.

Top Bottom