Got from clearance section!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello
I'm rather new to bonsai and have a general question. I got this tree from the clearance section and it had dropped most of its leaves. I have had it for about two weeks and it seems to be growing back rather quick. My question is with fall coming up should I just let it go it's natural course or should I reduce watering?

Attachments

• IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 137

vario

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What type of soil is it in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like potting soil! I guess whatever the store used! I took the moss and rocks off to allow more air!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is "bouncing back" why do anything other than what you are doing?

But, FYI, it looks to be easy leaved, so it should easily handle being repotted now. But this is just generally a poor idea with any plant that has been ailing (for whatever reason) and is "bouncing back". If it weren't we might think it due to the soil, in which case it is certain to die if we don't, so let's take the chance by repotting.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that it can probably handle repotting, as long as you're not doing any serious pruning of the root mass or of the foliage. If it's in crappy soil [as in potting soil or the like], the risk of damage or death from poor drainage far exceeds that of simply slip-potting, or re-potting with some gentle, judicious removal of the soil from the roots. That's been my limited experience anyhow.

Your mileage may vary. Title, taxes, and dealer prep are extra.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the responses I will certainly look into repotting it. I'm actually not sure what kind it is unfortunately! If anyone has an idea much appreciated!!

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will venture a guess and say Japanese Holly Ilex crenata. Evergreen shrub, female plants require presence of male pollinator to produce fruit.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will venture a guess and say Japanese Holly Ilex crenata. Evergreen shrub, female plants require presence of male pollinator to produce fruit.
My bad. Definitely a Fukien tea.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So being in Charlotte NC will definitely need to be coming inside in the fall? I'm assuming that this tree will keep it leaves year round? Also what temperature outside is considered harmful for this tree?

Top Bottom