got moss?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
thicc - ill clean this up eventually, it was a rush because of a solid 20
mph wind the day after i worked on them
the moss will help regulate the small pots drying out im hoping, should be good for summer heat as well
and watering needs

IMG_20220321_180118_HDR_2.jpg

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is this the result of ground sphagnum + collected moss or did you collect sheets of moss and apply to the surfaces? I only ask because I topdressed my trees roughly 4 weeks ago and am hoping to see some growth (at some point)? These look good and I assume water/air flow isn't impacted

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Is this the result of ground sphagnum + collected moss or did you collect sheets of moss and apply to the surfaces? I only ask because I topdressed my trees roughly 4 weeks ago and am hoping to see some growth (at some point)? These look good and I assume water/air flow isn't impacted
sheets of moss that grow in an area of my property in the shade.
ive used it halfheartedly in years prior and it usually takes to the pots and stays green

this is the heaviest application i ever used though, with true function in mind
the water flows right into and thru the pot

i have seen the sphagnum moss grown out by people though, i think they shred it up finely when its dried and then apply/hydrate

very satisfying taking a military style shovel and take a clean sheet of the moss off the ground btw

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

It can take a loooong time for the sphagnum + collected mixture to “take.” Ryan has mentioned on Mirai that even in Oregon it takes months. In my climate, it takes about a year before I’m getting moss growth and expansion. It works though!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It can take a loooong time for the sphagnum + collected mixture to “take.” Ryan has mentioned on Mirai that even in Oregon it takes months. In my climate, it takes about a year before I’m getting moss growth and expansion. It works though!
interesting

i believe it was @parhamr i saw who used sphagnum with success in an older post

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
very satisfying taking a military style shovel and take a clean sheet of the moss off the ground btw
Absolutely - I have epic amounts of moss growing on our property. Here’s to hoping the topdressing takes.

It can take a loooong time for the sphagnum + collected mixture to “take.” Ryan has mentioned on Mirai that even in Oregon it takes months.
I watch the process in Mirai Live but must have missed the timeline portion. Here’s to hoping it takes a some point.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are so many great mosses one can use, sphagnum is not one of them, IMO.
I was under the impression using ground sphagnum + ground collected moss to the size of your substrate provides a moisture retentive barrier and over time allows the moss to naturally occur.

If there’s a more tried and true method I’m definitely open to giving it a shot.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you use dead dried sphagnum mixed with dried ground collected moss it will work fine. Sphagnum is not a good bonsai mos to grow because it is too long and coarse. Its been awhile, but I used to just dry collected moss, run it through a screen sifted right on top of the bonsai soil. When it grows, it is very even like a mowed lawn.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thicc - ill clean this up eventually, it was a rush because of a solid 20
mph wind the day after i worked on them
the moss will help regulate the small pots drying out im hoping, should be good for summer heat as well
and watering needs
Newbie question alert! When you have the moss on top do you water by submerging the plant in water, or do you water on top of the moss?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Newbie question alert! When you have the moss on top do you water by submerging the plant in water, or do you water on top of the moss?
Moss on top normally shouldn't/won't impede watering from above. Unless you've left it on for a long time and really let it develop a thick mat.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The submerged watering method is not all that great of a practice. Skip it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not much moss here this year. Winter was too dry. All my moss spots have dried up.

Top Bottom