Got URO...Please share if you do

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry no detailed progression pics on mine but here is a Japanese maple that originally came from Randy Knight. The first pic shows what the tree looked like when I purchased it and on the right what I did with it. This tree came with lots of deadwood that I carved and accentuated to make it more of a primary feature in the design.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry no detailed progression pics on mine but here is a Japanese maple that originally came from Randy Knight. The first pic shows what the tree looked like when I purchased it and on the right what I did with it. This tree came with lots of deadwood that I carved and accentuated to make it more of a primary feature in the design.

Man...that is beyond eye candy! Well played by you...fantastic material from the get go...and man...what where you took it. Impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Such a cool tree, very sleepy hollow haunted look

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not carved out yet but itll be a hollow trunk, my cottonwood which I got for free from work when borers killed off the entire top.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20151124_093034.jpg
    20151124_093034.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two uros, one small one up top, a big one at the bottom. The bottom one is an original collection wound that I've been trying to close up for 15 years now. It's slow going. The top one was previously where an "eye poker" branch was located and removed. Doesn't show up here in this photo very well, though. Oaks should have at least one uro, just like junipers should have jin.
liveoak.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for showing one of your trees. It's very nice. You mention Oak? What variety of Oak?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Escarpment Live oak (querus Virginiana "fusiformis" or just "quercus Fusiformis" depending on where you look. It is an upland form of southern coastal live oak that is spread throughout Texas and into Oklahoma. I've posted this many times.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You are saying that this is a Live Oak species? I say some wonderful Live Oaks at Kitty Hawk, specifically Kill Devil Hills. Boy does that look like a tree capable of being a bonsai.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure how much glory there is in there. But there is a chance of lint.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Barberry as well. This ones getting chopped for the second and hopefully final time

Attachments

• 20151128_135900.jpg
    20151128_135900.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 34

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are saying that this is a Live Oak species? I say some wonderful Live Oaks at Kitty Hawk, specifically Kill Devil Hills. Boy does that look like a tree capable of being a bonsai.
It is a live oak, a subspecies of Southern Live Oak (or a species unto itself--Escarpment live oak--depending on what reference you look at) that is more winter hardy than the iconic coastal species of Southern live oak. It responds very well to bonsai culture, once it adapts to containers--which can be a big issue at collection. This one was collected by Vito Megna back in the mid-90s near Salado, Tex. I've had it almost 20 years now.

The coastal species that grows from the deep south up into Va. isn't as cold hardy, but there are a few of those around that have been made into bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two uros, one small one up top, a big one at the bottom. The bottom one is an original collection wound that I've been trying to close up for 15 years now. It's slow going. The top one was previously where an "eye poker" branch was located and removed. Doesn't show up here in this photo very well, though. Oaks should have at least one uro, just like junipers should have jin.
View attachment 88319
A new (bad) pic of the tree before it went into winter storage at Thanksgiving.
oakiethree.jpg

Top Bottom