Gotta Love Liquid Ambar Orientalis

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I took a quick pic of my liquidambar orientalis yesterday as the colors were stunning. I added a couple of pics to my original. The first was like 2 weeks ago, 4-5 days ago(original pic), and today

ambar1.jpgliquid ambar.jpgambar.jpg

Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brilliant color! And I love that the color is pretty uniform. Our native sweetgum is one of my favorite fall trees with colors ranging from bright yellow to dark purple, often on the same branch. But on a small plant, color variation like that is very distracting to me. This one is very nice. Thanks for sharing.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
i think its even more uniform today, not kidding. Ill see if I can snap another pic before all of the leaves fall off.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely tree. Can't wait to see it as a bonsai.

BTW . . . Liquidambar is one word.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tree, great fall(?) color! Will they fall off in time for the spring growth? ;-)

these should have a great future in American bonsai...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've tried a couple of these over the years, and for some reason can't hit the right conditions. I always wind up with black limp leaves that fall off, only to be replaced for a month, then the cycle starts over. The good thing is they seem to live thru all this molting, but I gave up because they always looked so bad.
Maybe someday I'll try again.
Yours is very nice.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hell yes Nathan! I'm glad to see this variety posted. Was this by chance yamadori? I'm itching to dig one up.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Hell yes Nathan! I'm glad to see this variety posted. Was this by chance yamadori? I'm itching to dig one up.

No I purchased it from a local grower that used to grow these, jap maples and tridents for bonsai. He supplied the local so. Cal area for about the last decade and kinda spoiled the local market with some nice sized trunks that everyone took for granted and now that he's out people are scrambling for them.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
No I purchased it from a local grower that used to grow these, jap maples and tridents for bonsai. He supplied the local so. Cal area for about the last decade and kinda spoiled the local market with some nice sized trunks that everyone took for granted and now that he's out people are scrambling for them.

Was one of his conditions for sale that he remain anonymous in all future internet postings about his trees? :p Why so mysterious?

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a question about american sweetgum and this oriental.
Can thread grafts be made with success? I have a american sweetgum
but was told that the foilage don't get smaller and was thinking about
doing some thread grafts any suggestions would be great.

Rishi.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I have a question about american sweetgum and this oriental.
Can thread grafts be made with success? I have a american sweetgum
but was told that the foilage don't get smaller and was thinking about
doing some thread grafts any suggestions would be great.

Rishi.

No experience with this sorry

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took a quick pic of my liquidambar orientalis yesterday as the colors were stunning. I added a couple of pics to my original. The first was like 2 weeks ago, 4-5 days ago(original pic), and today

View attachment 29808View attachment 29809View attachment 29810
Hi Nathanbs,
I love the leaf color! It's so beautiful!
Can you tell me:
1. where you place this tree in the yard (west, south, etc)?
2. How often you prune the tree in the season?
3. What kind of fertilizer you use?
The reason I'm asking so many questions is that I have one large Liquidamber orientalis. It has been growing so well in my area, but at this time, it still has lot of green leaves (picture below).
Thanks
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2742.JPG
    DSC_2742.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_2743.JPG
    DSC_2743.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 42

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
It's in the middle of my yard on a table 4' high protected from full sun by probably the lowest percentage of shade cloth, very transparent just enough to take the edge off from maybe march-nov 1st. Regular grow out 4-5 nodes cut back. Never defoliated. Organic fertilizer only because that's what I use in the rest of my trees

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey - I'm just curious - this is Turkish Sweetgum? Not that I'm really that familiar with all sweetgum species, but it seems to me that a Chinese species would be a more natural choice for businesses that were growing trees to be sold as bonsai, and if it's Chinese, then it's probably not orientalis, because as far as I can find, the only liquidambars occuring in China are acalycina and formosona (efloras.org) Of course, if it was Turkish Sweetgum, that would be interesting too.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
hey - I'm just curious - this is Turkish Sweetgum? Not that I'm really that familiar with all sweetgum species, but it seems to me that a Chinese species would be a more natural choice for businesses that were growing trees to be sold as bonsai, and if it's Chinese, then it's probably not orientalis, because as far as I can find, the only liquidambars occuring in China are acalycina and formosona (efloras.org) Of course, if it was Turkish Sweetgum, that would be interesting too.

Yes it's also know as Turkish sweetgum. They have a smaller leave and get better (not great)
ramification then the usual sweetgums found here. They also are one of the most reliable for fall color here in So. Cal. even if it does happen in Jan. :)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
So Bob please clarify. Is this a liquidambar orientalis aka a Turkish sweetgum?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So Bob please clarify. Is this a liquidambar orientalis aka a Turkish sweetgum?

Yes same tree.
There used to be a small stand of them somewhere in the San Gaberiel Valley that Frank Yee knew of and collected the seed. All of the LOA's around here came from those seeds. About 10 years ago the trees were removed so there is no longer a source of seed. I have one in a 15 gallon can that I'm hoping will produce seed sometime soon. It's been untouched for about 4-5 years now.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huh. interesting. Yeah, I did a cross reference of San Gabriel Valley and Liquidambar orientalis and found this which mentions their presence in the Valyermo area. Evidently there are also some in Riverside, California and one in Fremont, California that's registered as a Big Tree.

Great colors on that tree. I should think it's worth the wait (for January) to see such beautiful foliage!

Top Bottom