Gotta love when wire does its job...Kojo No Mai

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Still learning...but, appreciating the wire doing its job. Thanks to Colin's wire video. Still looking for vision for the part unwired. Thinking keeping it similar with just adding movement. I like how it is now...but, know it needs more movement that what it has currently.

image.jpg

After I had it secured to wire...I thought to grab a quick picture of a "before" shot. Sorry for the poor quality.

image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Decided it worth just finishing than pulling my supplies out again for a small project.
*note: If the branch had contorting as known to the tree. I worked around it to keep the character of the tree intacted.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene, that upper branch on the left comes down and crosses the lower branch. Can you bend it so that it doesn't cross?

And the branch above that, there is a small branch that appears to come from the bottom, and then goes back in towards the trunk. Either remove it, it reposition it. I think remove it. Branches coming off the undersides of other branches will eventually get sluffed off by tree anyway. (They get shaded out, and become weak- too weak to be self sustaining.). But also, branches should not move from the outside of the canopy back in towards the inside. They always grow out - towards the light.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M I do get what your meaning on the branch crossing. But...I absolutely hated seeing braches that paralleled each other in what looked to me step down method. It looked so unnatural. I have those branches reaching toward the viewer and though it may break rules. I wish to not fully tame this tree. I have had that notion from the get go. I have seen this tree tamed...and to me something is stollen from it.

I will try and go see what branch you also discussed and remove it.

From this angle maybe you can see my reasoning. I do appreciate your time explaining both issues. Thanks!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't have a good photo of my wiring skills last year. But look at how I stopped and gave up after wiring the two branches the distance I wanted them with a wire that connects to both branches.

Humble beginnings...image.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'd be looking to put some movement into that long, nearly horizontal branch (trunk) and soften that sharp/artificial looking 90 deg downward bend at the end of it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I'd be looking to put some movement into that long, nearly horizontal branch (trunk) and soften that sharp/artificial looking 90 deg downward bend at the end of it.
It can't be done..lots very brittle. I broke a section of cascade branch that wasn't near as thick. It's one reason I feel breaking the rule with the branches...bringing that branch forward that breaks one of the guidelines. Or the trunk would be more pronounced. But...it was a lopsided grown tree. So cascade it was meant to be. It's a flaw I can live with. When in leaf...less noticeable. The blooms are stunning...so a purchase I will never regret. In 2D maybe the bend seems more pronounced. But...it just a fluid bed of curves bringing the branch toward the viewer. There are curves there...they just don't photograph well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh...I believe the 90 degree bend you mention may be the natural nature of the tree. It's all I can think of. And they are periodically placed. It's the make up of the contorted tree. If I'm thinking of the same branch. (But honestly...I'm not sure which areas your talking about. I'm assuming I'm right. But, still not 100% sure.)

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take more pics with different angles. I see what your saying, but sort of agree with Adair M. I'm not much of an expert, far from it, but current pic does show crossing branches. It could be the 2D view.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Take more pics with different angles. I see what your saying, but sort of agree with Adair M. I'm not much of an expert, far from it, but current pic does show crossing branches. It could be the 2D view.

Oh no, I'm fully aware it's breaking one of the guidelines. But look at the main trunk all the branching comes from it...to do what he's asking brings your eye to that trunk. And I just don't like the way it looked. Reminds me of a comb. With teeth coming off of it. I actually broke a lower section of cascade to attempt what Adair suggested during my wiring. But...even when done...I hated it. And put the branch placement back to where it was. Which I feel distracts from all the branches coming off that main trunk in a cascade. It's a bit untamed I think...which is exactly what I'm going for.

If you seen any of my earlier threads on this tree. When I was researching the cultivar...I hated the well manicured look. I think this plays into the naturalistic look a tad by breaking a rule/guideline.

Example of having all branches in a multi trunk cascade not cross with this species. I do not like this look...especially with it being a contorted tree.
image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:)
I like it a lot!

Damn!
Makes me want it!

A ticking F bomb!

I'm with a few tweaks.

And you totally Craftsied Your Wire hand well enough to go for it!

Big Cheers!

Sorce

Jarath

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it gives you any problems, I can take it off your hands.:D

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
:)
I like it a lot!

Damn!
Makes me want it!

A ticking F bomb!

I'm with a few tweaks.

And you totally Craftsied Your Wire hand well enough to go for it!

Big Cheers!

Sorce
Thanks...still have a ways to go with the wiring...but understanding the concept will get me there each time I do a tree.

I'm not ruling out tweaks...but not to the point that it seems to controlled. It's really not a large tree. Photos are deceiving. It's a compact tree. And I love the shape in leaf. I love it coming toward the viewer and not like the example photo I shared. I'm fine with breaking a guild line...I love how the branch comes toward the viewer then down curving. It's my favorite part of the entire tree. So...that part will stay.
image.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh...I believe the 90 degree bend you mention may be the natural nature of the tree. It's all I can think of. And they are periodically placed. It's the make up of the contorted tree. If I'm thinking of the same branch. (But honestly...I'm not sure which areas your talking about. I'm assuming I'm right. But, still not 100% sure.)

Tried to mark with red the lines I'm seeing...lots of straight sections and sections with 90 deg bends, parallel lines. At least that's the way it appears in the photo, I obviously can't see it in person. Lots of times trees seem to look better in person. I sometimes will photograph one of mine that I think looks pretty good, and it almost doesn't look like the same tree.

Haven't worked with these so I don't know about bending them. Will have to defer to others.

What matters is that you enjoy the tree!

darlene02.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Tried to mark with red the lines I'm seeing...lots of straight sections and sections with 90 deg bends, parallel lines. At least that's the way it appears in the photo, I obviously can't see it in person. Lots of times trees seem to look better in person. I sometimes will photograph one of mine that I think looks pretty good, and it almost doesn't look like the same tree.

Haven't worked with these so I don't know about bending them. Will have to defer to others.

What matters is that you enjoy the tree!

View attachment 97135

The branches are very brittle. I will take an above view. But...I don't see the straight lines on some your drawing even under your straight line. The top branch started to crack on me while bending. I'm not messing with it this year. It's done being manipulated. I may add a guy wire at some point at the top branch line you drew. That's the only one that stands out in person. I got a bit of movement. But I won't sacrifice the branch. It's subtle...but not seen in photos well at all.

It's a tree that will have flaws...I came to grasp that. But...next year I may do that guy wire though. Pull in that top red lined branch you drew. At this time...I'm afraid I will lose the entire structure. And...it's not worth it to me to have that happen.

I do appreciate your time to sketch on the photo. It did help me grasp your meaning. Which I send out a thanks!

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
Decided it worth just finishing than pulling my supplies out again for a small project.
*note: If the branch had contorting as known to the tree. I worked around it to keep the character of the tree intacted.
View attachment 97102
Not saying anything about wiring, I don't know didly-squat about it. Just speaking of the photo, first impression, "that's a very pleasing photo". Seems as though the various features and ruggedness and colorings compliment each other well. Nice picture.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not saying anything about wiring, I don't know didly-squat about it. Just speaking of the photo, first impression, "that's a very pleasing photo". Seems as though the various features and ruggedness and colorings compliment each other well. Nice picture.

Very kind of you to say so...Thank you.

I am far from an expert on wiring...but, at least my branches do what I now want. If you have never seen Colin Lewis's Craftsy.com video for wiring. I would find time to do so. I especially liked the one where he explains why incorrect wiring doesn't work for us. It helped me understand my frustration. The video is free of charge as well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M and @coh

Adair the only way to make it less noticeable of crossing branch is to pull that one up and over farther. Which...makes me curious of what it will look like in leaf. Will there be a bare spot? (Though it will eventually fill in.)

Chris/coh I am wondering does this actually accentuate the back far branch that is a stiff rod?

So which of the two is the best option?

Before:
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay boys...I think I got a bit of direction. One suggested bringing the lower branch to the front. Which is what I was trying to accomplish with that crossing branch. Thoughts on this.

@Adair this may have been what you were talking about the entire time. I had left the bottom branch to the back and hated it. I sort of like this though...
image.jpg

Top Bottom