Goyomatsu & Korumatsu

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
I've been giving my white pine and black pine some attention an tlc. But after 2days i'm still not done.
The back of the white pine isn't wired proper yet, it is still messy and not open enough to get the sun in.
It's a big tree. The right lower branch is also opened up because it had some problems in the past and needs more growth.
So next week i'll go back to my garden and finish that, also the black pine candles need to be cut by that time.
Hoping it will backbud properly and grows a little shorter needles with the second flush of growth.
This is also a new spot were they are standing now.
Under the trees is little pond so they will have some good humidity around them with the warmer weather.
Far from done...
But I do want to share them with you guys.

13516550_625682674248421_3016971434408886846_n.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed these are great looking trees;). Style of Black Pine unusual, unique and much appreciated. In time will look much like Yamadori.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
@JudyB it might be collected however these also are grown from seed sometimes. It's an old one just like the previous owner he had it for a long time. Before that it was in Japan so i have no idea.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah...that White pine is just charming!

Sorce

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
here is some details on the white pine. Changed some branches too, just slight angle changes.
last pictures are sloppy i made them with my iPhone.
It still has some yellow needles that is old growth. I've removed the 2 year old ones the ones more yellow are from last year.
Because it is not a grafted one the needles are more light green and yellowish.
It's healthy ;)
To get a sense of size it is 75cm high thats 29.5 inches and 80cm wide 31.5 inches.

IMG_7194.JPG IMG_7200.JPG IMG_7199.JPG

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Its a clump it has 5 trunks all connected to the base in the soil.
They are also not really organized that's why i think it's yamadori.
If it was grown from seed perfect placement could have been cultivated.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
White Pine.....like in Eastern White Pine? Do the needles reduce? Or....is White Pine a different species than the Eastern White Pine that I am familiar with and the needles start out smaller.

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Eastern white pine is called pinus strobus Japanese white pine like this is called pinus parviflora.
Needles do reduce in length with for example cutting back on feeding and water. Although it's not recommended.
Japanese white pine have smaller needles by nature.
They both have needles growing in clusters of 5.
I don't know the eastern white pine well, but they are not the same.
Japanese white pine is the most common used in bonsai from those two.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice!

Have you considered removing that crossing root in front?

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
@Adair M it did cross my mind, but Japanese white pines branches are connected to individual parts of the root system. I'm to afraid it will let a certain part of the tree die off when I cut it.
Happened with another one who had rootrot on one side and it dropped 2 major branches on that side.
Some species can let other parts of the rootball take over , but Japanese white pine can't so always take care when cutting roots.
I might cover some of it with moss or and small plants in the future.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The closest branch to that root is way up in the apex. I don't think that would be an issue.

You could do it in stages. On the back side of the exposed root, shave off bark and live tissue. Next year complete the removal. I doubt the tree would even miss it.

Top Bottom