Graft size disparity

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a dwarf Pinus edulis that I will bonsai next year. The trunk is about 15 mm diameter and the root stock about 27 mm. The junction doesn't look very good. Will this even out with time or should I just plant it deep enough that the root stock is buried?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Pics!

I'd let it grow a few and see.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunate but true, but it does depend on the rootstock used.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some things such as maples often will root at the union when is simply remains buried. This is unlikely with pines, generally speaking, though there are many known exceptions. On the other hand one may need to be concerned about roots being buried deeply enough to obscure the root stock - it very well be so deep as to cause root anoxia.

There are ways of obscuring the union, the simplest being the placement of some foliage across it in the field of view. Done well, on sees a fat nebari beneath the foliage and a thinner one emerging above that can impress as being trunk taper. Another is to create a shari across the union.

Put your mind to it and you'll likely come up with other ways to obscure the truth. This is much of the artistry of bonsai, IMHO.

Top Bottom