Graft wound identification on JBP?

TheBlackBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi Nuts,

Could anyone identify this bulge on my JBP as a graft wound? If so what is the best way to go about making it look the most natural over time? Thank you! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DECBA156-AC5A-4965-A4C2-AF968A799E13.jpeg
    DECBA156-AC5A-4965-A4C2-AF968A799E13.jpeg
    272.6 KB · Views: 72

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, it’s grafted.

See the inverted V on the trunk, above which the bark changes to more of a gnarly texture? That’s a saddle graft.

There’s not much you can do with it as is. It’s front and center. So be sure the front is 90 degrees from the V.

Successful Air layers on JBP’s are few and far between.

That said, it’s a great tree to practice on! While doing so, check around there are some great JBP starter trees out there, or search around and look for something about 8 years old you can work into something really good.

cheers
DSD sends

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Check the Naka book on approach grafting a series of seedlings right at the graft junction. A lengthy process and very time consuming.

memwar is right, buy one with a better and lower graft. Or better yet no graft at all. Buy seedlings or mature 5 yrs olds.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pines can be layered. Older trunks can take some time and don't always produce roots but younger wood is usually reliable and relatively quick. Layering at or just above the graft will solve the problem once and for all.

Is this really JBP? bark does not look like black pine and the needles I can see are quite short for black pine. The root stock appears to be some other species too. Most black pines seem to be grafted onto black pine stock but maybe over there you have more choices and someone has found a different compatible root stock for the JBP cultivars.

TheBlackBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank you all for the knowledge! I’m taking this tree on as a practice project because I have a JBP that I'm really in love with but I don’t want to make too many noob mistakes on it. I thought this would be a perfect guinea pig, that is until I received it and noticed the graft. Bummer but that’s what I get for buying online.

Not a total waste though, I’d like to learn layering and how to get this thing on its own roots. @Shibui I had your same thought about the tree not being JBP, it just doesn’t look like my others and has lots of madness going on near the needles that my other JBPs don’t seem to have. Geez….

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had your same thought about the tree not being JBP, it just doesn’t look like my others and has lots of madness going on near the needles that my other JBPs don’t seem to have. Geez….
As @HardBall said above, that appears to be a kotobuki - a JBP dwarf cultivar with very short (and stiff) dark green needles. It looks pretty different from standard JBP... but otherwise care is the same. I have one and think it is pretty cool in its own way. Yatsubusa is a dwarf cultivar that was created from a witches broom on a kotobuki.

kotobuki_yatsufusa.jpg

Here's the original tree that is the source for all Yatsubusa JBP. You can see the kotobuki needles on the lower branches - and the lighter green yatsubusa needles on the top witches broom.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The root stock appears to be some other species too. Most black pines seem to be grafted onto black pine stock but maybe over there you have more choices and someone has found a different compatible root stock for the JBP cultivars.
I was just wondering about this.
If you can identify the rootstock, it may potentially be conducive to air layering. Then you could layer it right below the graft, and hide the bulge in the nebari.

TheBlackBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As @HardBall said above, that appears to be a kotobuki -
It’s totally Kotobuki! Can’t believe the photo you have provided in your last post is the source for ALL Yatsubusa JBPs that’s so awesome and pretty neat.
Here is the Kotobuki up against a few of my other JBPs. I’m going to attempt layering right above the graft point most likely Novemberish. Is this okay? Fingers crossed :)

Attachments

• 941A279B-319F-4C1A-8A7B-850965C5A448.jpeg
    941A279B-319F-4C1A-8A7B-850965C5A448.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 21
  • D0EA4870-8270-4C43-BAA7-23F059DB4DA2.jpeg
    D0EA4870-8270-4C43-BAA7-23F059DB4DA2.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 22

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m going to attempt layering right above the graft point most likely Novemberish. Is this okay? Fingers crossed :)
I have actually never tried a JBP air-layer, so I wish you luck. I have heard they are quite difficult. Make sure you the proper rooting hormone concentration (high).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Ive seen people air layering JBP but only young very vigorous branches not old trunks, he can try root grafting with young pines above the sweling

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stumbled across this thread recently.
Could a similar technique be used to generate roots for ground layering it maybe? Perhaps right after a repot when the existing roots have been trimmed back, maybe in stages to slowly work the roots up the trunk.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not to hijack this thread, but how are Kotobuki JBP for bonsai in terms of ease of care? They're compatible with my zone, and I have an opportunity to get one in a 1 gallon nursery pot for $50.

Top Bottom