Grafted Ginkgoes

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have been seeing some very interesting ginkgo varieties recently with very small leaves and compact growth patterns. Unfortunately all are grafted and generally show some swelling around the graft.

I little bit of reverse taper is not unusual, and even acceptable on them. Does anyone have experience with grafted ginkgoes? Does the scar get better or just worse and uglier?

Here are some pretty typical pics of the type of grafts I’m seeing at the nursery. Trunk is about 3/4”.

9B235F94-DBA5-4285-B21C-16D2ABF0B588.jpeg55F3DB36-44CE-4E3F-8B61-0721A82B9F73.jpeg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
I see them here too and also have 2 young specimen of what I believe is called Mariken. I am planning to attempt to root cuttings of them in my new aeroponic propagator but that iscurrently occupied with Prunus Mume cuttings and some Japanese Maple with very small leaves.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can they be air layered above the graft? That is a pretty ugly union in the photo.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been seeing some very interesting ginkgo varieties recently with very small leaves and compact growth patterns. Unfortunately all are grafted and generally show some swelling around the graft.

I little bit of reverse taper is not unusual, and even acceptable on them. Does anyone have experience with grafted ginkgoes? Does the scar get better or just worse and uglier?

Here are some pretty typical pics of the type of grafts I’m seeing at the nursery. Trunk is about 3/4”.

View attachment 249856View attachment 249857
Ginko air layer with ease! No need to put up with the grafts.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Air layering is a no brainer then - they bulk up so slowly any bulk is a bonus.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have succeeded with several varieties, including some of the dwarf cultivars. I see no reason why not. Do you have reason or information that indicates otherwise?

G, Frank and everyone is correct about Ginko. It is one of the easiest trees to propagate, even the dwarf's. They are also easy to graft with a cambium that looks like a sidewalk ;-) Root cuttings will grow also. They are just plain easy to propagate but the challenge is training. Only one good style for them.

Top Bottom