Grafted Mugo Pine initial styling

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I bought the tree back in November and later realized it was grafted.

i decided to style it today and have a long hard look at it.Either i was going to be happy with the results or I was gonna trash/give it away. I think I started something I could live with. A60AD153-F72A-4BD9-95AD-CF7A4A37DB12.jpeg07296EB2-00DB-45E2-B7A0-47BA9F417C1C.jpeg
close up of graft
D49FD29F-8483-4D44-A3A5-F3EF12662217.jpeg481865DB-D3D1-43EC-B669-32ADDA088EE6.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In a couple of years you should not be able to see what appers to be a graft, after all I don't see a Mugo being grafted to anything but a Mugo or Scots Pine.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might have wanted to wait 'til spring or even better next fall for a major styling. Just saying.
I'm just about the same climate as you and I'm not even close to being the coldest it will get it the next 3-4 months!
Hope it makes it thru winter!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think that graft will probably be OK for bonsai because it is right up under the branches so it will be difficult to see where bark type changes. The worst grafts are halfway up the trunk where any change is so noticeable.

Now comes the slow and tedious process of encouraging ramification to fill out the canopy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Is this something that would be ok repotting in July? Considering the amount of work that has been done? I was planning on leaving it till next year but having read @Vance Wood mugo info, I'm considering a light repotting/slip potting it. It is a B&B and I'm wondering if just loosening what I can around the edges and filling with bonsai soil would help promote better roots that the organic/clay soil its in now. It feels like heavy clay close to the trunk and loose "potting soil" around the edges of the pot. Wait?.....or intervene this summer? all assuming the tree grows strongly up until that point.

Top Bottom