DSC_7522.JPG

DSC_7523.JPG

DSC_7524.JPG
Root tips are white, potting window open
DSC_7525.JPG
Helluva tap root more like a lower extension of the trunk

DSC_7527.JPG

DSC_7530.JPG
It would actually fit in this pot, but I wanted to give angle to the trunk more, potted a little deeper...
DSC_7535.JPG
Pretty good chance of rain this week, should help the new root generation.
I know it's an ugly graft, but I can get some JBP practice with it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Holy shit. Sawfly-pacolypse
LOL lets hope not. Here i thought that cocoon i found last year was roach eggs.

I put about a tablespoon of malathion in a cup and dropped the ones i pulled off in there.
In 2 minutes they died of parkinsons and end stage pancreatic cancer.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL lets hope not. Here i thought that cocoon i found last year was roach eggs.

I put about a tablespoon of malathion in a cup and dropped the ones i pulled off in there.
In 2 minutes they died of parkinsons and end stage pancreatic cancer.
In the words of Metallica. “Kill em all!”

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree, but have to wonder why someone would graft a JBP?
They seem to grow just fine on their own roots

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a specific tighter growing variety. Like JM maples, most "specialty" pines can be grafted to keep their genetic quirks intact. Cork bark black pine varieties are also typically grafted, you can sometimes see that on some older examples.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought I had posted this yesterday, but never hit the Post reply button
So @rockm answered that somewhat, and this was my response...

...Well I'm not attached to that end of the trade at all, but my guess is someone had a mother tree
and just propagated it to sell on eBay or wherever, and that's fine really if that were the case.
Perhaps the cultivar isn't as readily available as the species, and seeds are being collected in the meantime.
It is a pretty ugly high graft for sure, but the price was right for me to experiment with.

The top where the caterpillars were I believe is sacrificial, so maybe think a bit shorter for the end design.

Anxious to see trunk after several years☺️.
Me too, but not holding my breath. The under stock isn't moving as fast.
I'm hoping the difference doesn't magnify with time and barking up, may help camouflage the union.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I had posted this yesterday, but never hit the Post reply button
So @rockm answered that somewhat, and this was my response...

...Well I'm not attached to that end of the trade at all, but my guess is someone had a mother tree
and just propagated it to sell on eBay or wherever, and that's fine really if that were the case.
Perhaps the cultivar isn't as readily available as the species, and seeds are being collected in the meantime.
It is a pretty ugly high graft for sure, but the price was right for me to experiment with.

The top where the caterpillars were I believe is sacrificial, so maybe think a bit shorter for the end design.

Me too, but not holding my breath. The under stock isn't moving as fast.
I'm hoping the difference doesn't magnify with time and barking up, may help camouflage the union.
Like Japanese Maples, cultivars of this variety don't "breed true" --that is, their seeds may/may not produce the same type of tight growth as their parent plant. Grafting them is the only real way to get it. Seeds won't really work and if they're collecting the to sell, they're ripping people off-on purpose or through ignorance.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just like any cultivar, this one was selected because it behaves differently than the species. I have one and it seems a little coarser than the species (and yet dense growth as well) and I believe it has a higher propensity for backbudding. I've only pruned and repotted mine though, so hopefully after work I do this fall I'll have a better idea on how it responds to bonsai treatment. Someone whose bonsai opinion I respect cautioned me against mine but I couldn't pass up the trunk for the price.

Top Bottom