Grafted trees for Forsoothe!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it common to see grafted junipers? I dont think ive heard much discussion on grafting junipers.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Is it common to see grafted junipers? I dont think ive heard much discussion on grafting junipers.
A lot of collected American juniper have mich leggier foliage than shimpaku, Some folks like to work with the native foliage and some like to graft on varieties of shimpaku with much tighter mounding foliage.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I seen Ryan Neil graft Shimpaku on native junipers because the native branches were too brittle to bend and style. So I'm sure there are many reasons to graft juniper foliage.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. What are the details on the two beefy white pines? I’m almost certain I’ve seen the first juniper you posted years ago at the mid Atlantic convention.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The two beefy JWP are not my trees, but belong to a friend. They’re massive! They were gifts to my friend by the Japanese Consul. They’re grafted, so I thought I’d include them in the post.

Yes, the first Juniper won BIS at the Mid Atlantic. John Kirby owned it then. I purchased it from John at the ABS Convention held near Baltimore about a year later. Interestingly, it’s image was used by an eBay seller on their listing selling “bonsai seeds”. Those must have been some amazing seeds to be able to graft themselves! Lol!!!

Top Bottom