grafting branches

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all,

I have a Hanami Nishiki that just won't bud back from the trunk, it has a bunch of long braches from a single point at the top. I am considering using these to make some branches rather than continuing to chop back and hope for the appropriate budding.

Which is the better method to use: thread grafting or approach grafting and why?
Thread grafting seems more difficult to me (the threading through the hole part) but also seems like it would be more easy to stabilize.

Thanks!
Chris

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Chris;

Could you elaborate on what you are trying to do to get it to bud back on the trunk? If you are looking for "random" buds on the trunk there are things you can do. I would only graft a Japanese Maple if you were looking for exactly the right branch in the right location.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thread grafting is actually easier, more forgiving, but if the tree is leafed out, you're probably a little late for grafting this year. You'll have better results thread grafting just as the buds are beginning to swell.

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brian.

Bnut, basically I have a trunk with a 'birds nest' of growth at the apex. I've cut the apex growth back twice now (last and this winter/spring) and all new buds have sprouted at the first nodes below the cut sites with the exception of a single bud on the trunk. The tree is maybe 10-12 inches high, and is leafed out.

It's quite possible I have simply not cut back hard enough but now there is some long growth at the top that I could easily bend down to graft as branches. I thought this might be better (and maybe a little quicker) than cutting back even harder or 'trunk chopping' the apex off. I should also mention it would be cool to try this technique :). Can you elaborate on what other things I could do?

I will see if I can post a picture this weekend.

Thanks again!

Chris

Last edited:
Top Bottom