Grafting buds in Pine

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends, I want to graft buds in my mugo pine. I have bought a plant from nursery to use its tips as scion.

Having seen seen some videos I am now confused about how to choose appropriate buds? Woody/fleshy etc etc.

Can someone please guide me on this?
Thanks

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm new in pines, but for grafting other plants I prefer using material that is hardening.
If the tissue is too soft, the scars sometimes become ugly.
If the tissue is too hard, there's poor regeneration.

I got my first mugo 3 months ago, and seeing how it develops, I'd guess(!) that 6-10 month old shoots would do best.

Again, pines are new for me and i don't know a thing about mugo.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Go to you tube, search Brent Walston grafting pine.
Also go to resources section of BNut. Search for the tutorial on grafting.

Also go to the "Grafting, Layering and Propagation" sub forum of Bnut. Many threads on different styles of grafting.

Every question you asked have been answered multiple times in those 3 locations. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to limit the amount of repeat typing I do. It takes hundreds of words, a long essay to write out how to properly graft, and have success.

Timing is important. Winter - late, just before scion and understock begins to wake up. If new candles have begun extending, it is too late to graft. This applies to both scion and understock. If either is growing it is too late. A second acceptable time is just before the autumnal equinox, though this is not as high a success time. About 3 weeks before the autumnal equinox through a week after the equinox.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, in my climate first frost is usually October 15 but lately has been November 5, somewhere in there. Gives a few weeks to begin healing. Works fine for bud grafting crab apples, my couple attempts with pine at that time failed. But my number of attempts is pretty low. I'm just beginning to practice actual grafting. My crab apple is my one shining success, none of my winter or late summer pine attempts took. My total number of attempts is under a dozen.

Top Bottom