Grafting citrus

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
When is the proper time to graft a citrus that is grown inside during the winter?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Anytime during the actively growing phase.
and when you have suitable scions to graft on. Often suitable grafting scions are not available until later in the season.
Just out of interest, what sort of grafts are you planning? Citrus are normally budded for commercial propagation.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
and when you have suitable scions to graft on. Often suitable grafting scions are not available until later in the season.
Just out of interest, what sort of grafts are you planning? Citrus are normally budded for commercial propagation.

I'm starting some kumquat and my mom wants to graft a couple on a sour orange tree she has.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I was asking more about the type of graft you plan - wedge, whip and tongue, side graft or budding -T or patch buds?
Because citrus are evergreen you need some way to keep the scion from dehydrating for the few weeks until the graft unites.

Note that most citrus grow as cuttings quite easily though I saw some reports that fruit quality and taste was not as good from some trees growing on own roots. Different root stock can give better growth in different soils or different climates but not so important for potted plants or indoor citrus.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I was asking more about the type of graft you plan - wedge, whip and tongue, side graft or budding -T or patch buds?
Because citrus are evergreen you need some way to keep the scion from dehydrating for the few weeks until the graft unites.

Note that most citrus grow as cuttings quite easily though I saw some reports that fruit quality and taste was not as good from some trees growing on own roots. Different root stock can give better growth in different soils or different climates but not so important for potted plants or indoor citrus.
Most likely a wedge but mom did mention trying a bud chip

Top Bottom