Grafting help

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I own the Dirr, Woody plant propagation book and the American Horticulture book on Plant propagation.
They have some good general info like times of year for certain species and hormone strengths for cuttings etc. The AH book even has some good illustrations, but not much.

I am looking to graft some maple trees that I have (like arkagawa, bloodgood, coral, etc.) I have lots of rootstock and scions to take but need help with timing and teqniques.

Are there any sites or books you guys recommend that have good illustrations and more details?

Maybe someday I will write a maple propagation book. I have had some success with seedlings, cuttings and air layers. Here is the next step.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
I've spent a lot of time on this site and found only a little bit on grafting pines. Brent sure has given us a lot of great info on this site. It is a real blessing,

but I'm still looking for some more detailed info on grafting. What have you guys that are doing it, found helpful. Thanks,

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time on this site and found only a little bit on grafting pines. Brent sure has given us a lot of great info on this site. It is a real blessing,

but I'm still looking for some more detailed info on grafting. What have you guys that are doing it, found helpful. Thanks,

What more are you looking for on grafting? My best advice is to get a bunch of root stock cheap and cut scions and graft them. Do 10 and see your survival rate. Practice is what you need to do, the more you do it the more you will become accustomed to the methods and procedures and the better you will become.

If you want more info from me or would like to discuss please PM me so I get an email, I rarely bother to sign on here anymore.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Grafting

Hey Grizz,

Buy the book, The Grafter's Handbook, by R.J. Garner. The book was published in association with the Royal Horticultural Society. It it very helpful.

Art

Top Bottom