Grafting Male Branch on Female Tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two trees as examples. Winterberry and Persimmon require a male tree to pollinate the female blossoms.

Could a person take a small branch from a male tree and graft to female? Then you wouldn't have to maintain the male tree in order to get flowers pollinated.

Would a properly done graft take? Would the grafted branch remain male or would it switch teams?

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I first checked dave wilson here, they are the be all end all of grafting for fruit in my opinion, but there was no mention of grafting dioecious persimmons.

then I checked here and found more info. Apparently the dioecious persimmons are still self-fruiting anyway.

Seems that the sex of the stock does not alter the sex of scion. Section five here appears to indicate that.

not sure if it is helpful for bonsai though... I would just keep two of each sex around, even if the males are just in the landscape.

likely the female will dominate the male into submission thus rendering the male fruitless

da-dump-dump...

tssssss.....

Last edited:

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
What an interesting idea. I'd love to see this done. I'm by no means a grafting expert at all, especially since I'm still a beginner in bonsai and haven't gotten to a stage with my trees where I would be grafting anything. But from my pretty extensive knowledge of biology, I can tell you that the male graft definitely wouldn't switch to female. Every single cell in that branch is hardcoded as male in it's DNA. You could look at it like grafting branches of different apple varieties on one tree. A golden delicious branch isn't going to start producing granny-smith apples if you graft it to a granny-smith tree. The DNA doesn't change like that. The main question is if it will take or not. Try looking this technique up for any tree species, not even bonsai specific, I'm sure it's been tested out before even for agricultural purposes probably.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two trees as examples. Winterberry and Persimmon require a male tree to pollinate the female blossoms.

Could a person take a small branch from a male tree and graft to female? Then you wouldn't have to maintain the male tree in order to get flowers pollinated.

Would a properly done graft take? Would the grafted branch remain male or would it switch teams?

I think it takes an insect or bees to do this. I guess if you have one, you could manually shake it on the female plant. I have a friend who has a princess persimmon female plant and no male plant yet it fruits each year probably by bees. I wonder if a full size persimmon tree could pollinate a dwarf variety? Thousands of persimmon trees and orchards in Fresno.

I know that I am able to pollinate many ethnicities.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I think it takes an insect or bees to do this. I guess if you have one, you could manually shake it on the female plant. I have a friend who has a princess persimmon female plant and no male plant yet it fruits each year probably by bees. I wonder if a full size persimmon tree could pollinate a dwarf variety? Thousands of persimmon trees and orchards in Fresno.

I know that I am able to pollinate many ethnicities.

I imagine you could just take a q-tip and dab it in male flowers then dab it in the female flowers, on any plant. Basically the same thing bees do. Poor bees.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
gergweber - Thanks for the links.

Mac- some disconnected thoughts for you.
It is definitely true that the scion will not change sex when grafted onto rootstock of a different sex. This is a common practice in fruit orchards for fruit trees with separate sexes or self incompatible for pollination. Perhaps you remember the 5 on 1 trunk apple trees offered by outfits like Starks or Burpee. Root stock chosen will determine tree size, there are dwarfing root stocks to keep apple trees small. Understock does change some characteristics of the scion wood. Growth rate and size may be a function of the size and vigor of the root stock.

The only holly I have seen with a male branch grafted onto a female the graft was still young and had not healed yet, but it appeared to work. No reason not to graft a branch onto holly. Most though just keep a male shrub tucked away somewhere in the neighborhood. Bees do the work. One male can pollinate a dozen or so females.

About persimmons. They have separate sexes. Many female cultivars will form seedless fruit if there is no pollinator. The flavor of seedless fruit is not as good, less complex. The relatively bland flavor of the seedless grocery store persimmon (D. kaki) is because of this phenomena. Persimmon can be successfully grafted, so no reason to not try if you have scion wood that you want to graft onto a persimmon. I personally would just keep separate trees. One male can pollinate up to a dozen females if you have either active bees or an active artist's paint brush or cotton swab. From seed, persimmon start blooming when grown in the ground, as early as 6 or 7 years, most take about 9 years, in a pot it can take considerably longer. Persimmons can be rooted from cuttings, so cuttings and air layers are possible.

Ginkgo, in China, they will frequently graft one male branch on every female tree being used for nut production.

With all grafting, it takes some practice and some good luck to get a graft that will heal smooth enough to be acceptable for bonsai. While a graft will 'take' within a few months, it takes at least three years before there is enough wood that you can treat the tree like a 'normal' tree. Be cautious about bumping or flexing a grafted on branch, the stress on a young, weak graft union can cause separation. A bonsai tree will be "out of commission" for several years while graft unions heal.

When cultivars with different growth rates are grafted, there can be swelling issues. Sometimes the graft union just never smooths out. This is why as a general rule grafted stock is avoided by the bonsai hobby. Sometimes the understock imparts vigor to the scion wood, roots of JBP are able to handle warm soils better than the roots of JWP. A grafted JWP on JBP rootstock will have stiffer needles and sometimes a faster growth rate than when grown on its own roots, so heat tolerance and quicker growth are why most JWP are grafted.

Those are my thoughts. I have done about a dozen grafts, and as a novice, I am running about 30% successful. My best success was bud grafting 5 buds of a nice flowered weeping crab apple onto a 3 inch diameter stump/trunk of common grafting under stock for orchard apples. Made it to year 4, the unions are firm enough now that I can really start work on it this spring. It takes practice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got to this thread because a friend has some 2 year old princess persimmon... I haven't seen a fruiting one in Chile, so I was thinking in getting one and f it is a female tree... awesome. If not, well maybe graft female branches on it.
Would that work? So that I don't waste the time on a male tree.

Top Bottom