Grafting new branches on my Ume..... advice needed.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Hello,
After this winter I will need to graft some branches back closer to the main branches. I have a great outline and shape is well defined. The problem is I am not getting many leaf buds this year and all the new growth will be at the second half of the branches. That is ok because I want to increase the depth of the canopy as this will allow me to remove the interior branches I was using to promote fullness. This tree is in a breezy weeping style.

This will be my first time grafting and I do not want to ruin all the hard work I (and others) have put into this tree.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason, Bonhe posted a thread just three spots below this that he grafted some ume branches on to an apricot. He not only succeeded but the grafts were spectacular, there were hardly no scarring and they looked nearly unnoticeable when they took. He seems to have it down well and if you PM him he would probably be happy to advise you. Anywat here is the thread link to check it out http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?13494-Grafting-ume-to-enjoy-its-flower-for-whoever-living-in-the-hot-and-dry-climate!

ed

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason, before you graft anything, I urge you to look at page 95 of Bonsai: Nature in Miniature by Kyuzo Murata and Isamu Murata. There is a good picture of a weeping ume. The flowers are not close to the trunk.

Of course, this may not be what you have in mind, but it is worth looking at.

Your tree is really fine, I think. The base is spectacular. This variety is not common. You have a real opportunity in your hands.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your tree is really fine, I think. The base is spectacular. This variety is not common. You have a real opportunity in your hands.

Agreed. The base was the first thing I noticed... :)

BTW, I like your wire frame at the bottom...for guy wire anchoring?

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words. Yes the grafting would be used to reshape the exterior weeping effect allowing me to remove some interior cross branching I was using to fill space. Just a little cleaner approach. Secondly only on branches that leaf internodes do not form until more than 3 inches from the start of the branch. Une can GE quite leggy which doesn't work in a weeping style.

Dario yes I had plenty of anchoring. I tried something different where I tied certain branches down with a hemp rope to try and give them a more natural ark. My theory was that as the branches grew from the base and elongated the ark would have a more natural flow and when removed the movement would be naturalistic. I was only partly successful.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason, before you graft anything, I urge you to look at page 95 of Bonsai: Nature in Miniature by Kyuzo Murata and Isamu Murata. There is a good picture of a weeping ume. The flowers are not close to the trunk.

Of course, this may not be what you have in mind, but it is worth looking at.

is it this one: http://teyangbonsai.blogspot.com/2012/04/grandes-mestres-kyuzo-murata-omiya.html

Top Bottom