Grafting Scots Pine ‘Beuvronensis’ onto JBP

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve got a few of these I did in Feb as experiments, the graft seems to be taking but I do wonder if the “dwarf” factor will be lost from the Beuvronensis due to the JBP rootstock! We’ll see, in the meantime the scion’s candle seems happy enough. Of course JBP roots need more care in the UK than the native Scots...
537D3809-F3DB-475E-8231-B01FD8069809.jpeg

18F3C0D8-68D8-4384-AAD2-32BC9FB33352.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A question for you:

Why did you make the graft a couple inches above the roots? There will always be a visible graft scar. The lower trunk is always a primary feature of every bonsai.

Next time, you might consider putting the graft lower, just above the root flair.

Or...

Placing the graft up higher. JBP makes nice bark. Fairly quickly as these things go. So, grafting up higher gives you a JBP trunk, and then the foliage is built out of the scion.

One trick the Japanese do when grafting Japanese White Pine onto JBP and making the high grafts, is to choose a scion that has two twigs. One twig will be the future trunk, and the second will be the first branch. That first branch can then help hide the graft union from view.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
A question for you:

Why did you make the graft a couple inches above the roots? There will always be a visible graft scar. The lower trunk is always a primary feature of every bonsai.

Next time, you might consider putting the graft lower, just above the root flair.

Or...

Placing the graft up higher. JBP makes nice bark. Fairly quickly as these things go. So, grafting up higher gives you a JBP trunk, and then the foliage is built out of the scion.

One trick the Japanese do when grafting Japanese White Pine onto JBP and making the high grafts, is to choose a scion that has two twigs. One twig will be the future trunk, and the second will be the first branch. That first branch can then help hide the graft union from view.
I did it simply as it’s a test, the wedge cuts are also very long to maximise it’s chances at the expense of aesthetics. I also did a bigger one where the scion has several branches and is in a bag instead of parafilm, that one isn’t growing as fast but looks ok so far. From memory that one’s got a wired trunk section below it, most of the grafts I did this year are like that but I didn’t take photos!

I did grafts of JBP Senjumaru and Kotobuki, SCP Beauvronensis and JWP Beran, Adcocks and Zuisho.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm curious to see how needle character and vigour are affected, I've noticed JBP understock has a big effect on JWP, more vigour, longer bluer needles. But I grafted from a graft and don't know what the original understock was, maybe strobus?

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how needle character and vigour are affected, I've noticed JBP understock has a big effect on JWP, more vigour, longer bluer needles. But I grafted from a graft and don't know what the original understock was, maybe strobus?
Yeah I’m seeing initial “dwarf” scion needle length etc being over the top on JBP rootstock, but maybe that settles down once the root/foliage ratio evens up later on? Hard to know

Top Bottom