Grafting to renew a 50 year old Scots Pine.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
My project for today was putting 42 grafts onto my 50 year old Scots Pine. I got this tree about 5 years ago from an elderly club member who owned it for the previous 40 + years. As often happens it had been neglected in recent years and had gotten very weak and leggy. After the last few years of restoring health both below and above the soil, It was time to graft foliage closer to the trunk and hope they take.

graft 001.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That must have been a lot of work. A nice way to perpetuate the legacy of someone else who worked the tree for so long. I hope it works too. Nice job.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome stuff, hope they all take for you.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PaulH I assume you are grafting with the same material, Scots Pine. What I was wondering was if you took the grafts from the outer (leggy) parts and grafted it back in towards the trunk or did you buy new donor material to graft to this older pine? I also wonder that as certain trees tend to hybridize over time and since this tree is by your account 50 years old, I wonder if the new material will be different in some sense, maybe colored different or bark texture etc. ?

ed

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
PaulH I assume you are grafting with the same material, Scots Pine. What I was wondering was if you took the grafts from the outer (leggy) parts and grafted it back in towards the trunk or did you buy new donor material to graft to this older pine? I also wonder that as certain trees tend to hybridize over time and since this tree is by your account 50 years old, I wonder if the new material will be different in some sense, maybe colored different or bark texture etc. ?

ed
All the scions were taken from the long branches of this tree so will be genetically identical.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the scions were taken from the long branches of this tree so will be genetically identical.

I think this was the best choice. It should also better guarantee the success of the grafts since the material is from the tree originally.

ed

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I think this was the best choice. It should also better guarantee the success of the grafts since the material is from the tree originally.

ed
Yeah, there is a lot of variation in Sots pines. This one has relatively short needles.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How much stress does that put on a tree? And,..when grafting are there any special considerations as far as light or moisture?

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice work. Hope all the grafts are successful.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
How much stress does that put on a tree? And,..when grafting are there any special considerations as far as light or moisture?
I'm not an expert but am following Peter Tea's direction. He emphasized the importance of aftercare. First he said to keep the tree in shade. When daytime temps reach 80 F he said to cut a vent in the plastic bag so the scion doesn't cook. He also said to add water if the moss dries out.Many more small details but you'll need to hire Peter for a workshop to get the full benefit.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What was the reason for grafting? My understanding is that Scots Pines readily backbud given the proper care.

Understand that I'm not calling you out. I haven't tried to grow scots pine yet so I genuinely want to know.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
What was the reason for grafting? My understanding is that Scots Pines readily backbud given the proper care.

Understand that I'm not calling you out. I haven't tried to grow scots pine yet so I genuinely want to know.
They do bud fairly well for pines but not reliably on old wood. By grafting I get the new growth when and where I want it. (I hope!)

Steve1111

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if this forum is still running and if so how well have the grafts taken? It was more than 3 yrs ago now so hopefully all is well?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steve, the best way to get a reply is to actually
Hi, I'm wondering if this forum is still running and if so how well have the grafts taken? It was more than 3 yrs ago now so hopefully all is well?
use the “reply” button in the Original Poster’s comment. That way, it will get shown in his “alerts”.

I, too, want to know how it’s doing!

Steve1111

Seed
Reaction score
My project for today was putting 42 grafts onto my 50 year old Scots Pine. I got this tree about 5 years ago from an elderly club member who owned it for the previous 40 + years. As often happens it had been neglected in recent years and had gotten very weak and leggy. After the last few years of restoring health both below and above the soil, It was time to graft foliage closer to the trunk and hope they take.

View attachment 67642

View attachment 67642
Hi, I'm wondering if this forum is still running and if so how well have the grafts taken? It was more than 4 yrs ago now so hopefully all is well?

Steve1111

Seed
Reaction score
Steve, the best way to get a reply is to actually

use the “reply” button in the Original Poster’s comment. That way, it will get shown in his “alerts”.

I, too, want to know how it’s doing!

Thanks I think I managed it eventually.........

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A few years later, a new attempt. Would be great to get an update on how this turned out! @PaulH

Top Bottom