GrandMa Myojo

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg I own this tree:

image.jpeg

It's a dwarf JWP, Myojo cultivar. It's grafted on JBP. I've owned it about two years.

I first met this little fellow in January 2012, at my first Winter Intensive. Boon had me repot this one and another one of similar size. Over the years since then, I'd find them on Boon's benches and check on them to make sure they were healthy every time I was there. A couple years ago, Boon let me buy one.

That's the backstory. Today, the plot thickens! The Intensive students went to Grove Way Bonsai, and I saw this tree:

image.jpeg

It's also a Myojo! In fact, cuttings from this were grafted onto JBP. And one of those made its way to Boon, who took twigs from it, and grafted them on JBP. The two I repotted were two of those.

So, that makes this big Myojo the grandmother tree to my tree!

Reaction score
I would take grandmother out for diner and would like to play with the granddaughter. Two lovely specimens.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Myojo is a super dwarf. Extremely slow growing! Short needles, very short internodes. And, you have to let them be that way!

They don't like getting "opened up".

Grandma tree is basically a pine broom style! (It's not for sale, by the way.) Johnny at Grove Way did have another smaller one available for sale. I have no clue about the price.

Is it a Yatsubusa? Yes! To the extreme! It's the Kingsville boxwood of JWP!

I got it because it's a rare cultivar. The only maintenance I've done to it is pull out the old dead needles using tweezers. It's so tight, it's impossible to get your fingers inside the canopy.

Walter Pall would call it broccoli! Lol!

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Does 'Myojo' bud back on 3 or 4 year old wood (i.e. young but no needles)? Do yatsubusa-type dwarf Japanese white pine generally produce buds on wood without needles?
I have a young 'Myojo' which somehow has a (2 inch) section of trunk without needles or branching, and I am wondering if there is anything I should do to encourage shoots to break in this little bald spot it has.

Macbonsai

Seed
Reaction score
@Adair M -How is your Myojo growing now? Do you have a picture you could post?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh - I like it!

Top Bottom