Granular tomato fertilizer

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi. Is this fertilizer okay for use with bonsai? How much would I use? The package gives directions for trees in the ground but I’m not sure if that would be the same. It’s the one we use for tomatoes and it would be nice to use the same. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 28

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I actually use Dynamite Tomato fertilizer on my tigerbark. Out of respect for the one who sold it to me doesn't like BioGold. I sprinkle it on the pot surface. But again...don't know with it being a different brand and all.

Typically ground and pot are different doses for a chemical fertilizer. Dynamite is labeled organic so I don't worry about it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can use tomato fert on bonsai. Plant nutrients are just plant nutrients and all plants need similar nutrients. Rates will not vary much between plant species so your bonsai can have as much as a tomato of similar size.

8-10-8 is not really strong so you will have some leeway with application rates before getting to a problem dose.
Application rates are 2 tbsp per tomato. Your pots will probably be a bit smaller than the soil round a tomato plant so maybe half that on a medium bonsai pot for a start?

Some calculations on the 2lb per 50sq feet and relate that to a bonsai pot should give a pretty accurate rate for pots. lbs and feet are beyond me these days so I'll leave the calculations to those who can manage all those funny numbers- 2lb/50 = 32 oz/50 = .64 (just over 1/2 oz) per sq foot area. Now calculate bonsai pot sizes in approximate sq ft.
You will now need to measure how much 1/2 oz of the stuff is or how many spoon fulls make an oz.

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
You can use tomato fert on bonsai. Plant nutrients are just plant nutrients and all plants need similar nutrients. Rates will not vary much between plant species so your bonsai can have as much as a tomato of similar size.

8-10-8 is not really strong so you will have some leeway with application rates before getting to a problem dose.
Application rates are 2 tbsp per tomato. Your pots will probably be a bit smaller than the soil round a tomato plant so maybe half that on a medium bonsai pot for a start?

Some calculations on the 2lb per 50sq feet and relate that to a bonsai pot should give a pretty accurate rate for pots. lbs and feet are beyond me these days so I'll leave the calculations to those who can manage all those funny numbers- 2lb/50 = 32 oz/50 = .64 (just over 1/2 oz) per sq foot area. Now calculate bonsai pot sizes in approximate sq ft.
You will now need to measure how much 1/2 oz of the stuff is or how many spoon fulls make an oz.
Thanks for the response. I figured the nutrients were the same but different dose. I was worried about over-fertilizing and killing something. I feel better about using it now. Thanks!

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it include micronutrients like iron, manganese etc.etc.? Plants can normally get this from the soil but not from inorganic bonsai soils.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does it include micronutrients like iron, manganese etc.etc.? Plants can normally get this from the soil but not from inorganic bonsai soils.
I can't speak for the poster. Mine has sufficient ingredients. My ficus thrives with it.

I once was told that there is a reason they feed tomato fertilizer to weed plants. 🤷‍♀️ I'm assuming the one knew what he was talking about.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the "container" has poor drainage, that's where the problem would be. Give a good watering and shouldn't be an issue. In the future, mix up a bit with the water as opposed to sprinkling on the surface.

Top Bottom