Grape Vine #1

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Gnarly with no major chop scar.

Vines of wild grapes, to get the thick large diameter trunks you nearly always have to make a large chop scar. Vineyards are always pruning one or two or three year old wood, no big chops. Good to find old unwanted vineyard vines.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. cool trunk on that. Here in Va. we have a wine industry that is growing by leaps and bounds. Some vineyards are replacing vineyard stock. I've been trying to get some older vines. Nothing like this is coming out of the ground though.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry, yes it looked like the early growth....was curious about later in the season.

I really like the tortured looking trunk.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have one in the back of my garden, against a fence. The "trunk" is about 1.5 feet tall (45 cm) and the base about 6 inches (15 cm) wide, I thought it would creep over it, but it didn't, it only produced two or three long shoots. I since heard from the person that gave it to me that it was from a vineyard in Sancerre, south of the Loire valley.

So I might try to put it in a pot next spring...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Splendid!

It greets the eyes with gritty strength while maintaining a comforting delicacy.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Amazing grape bonsai Walter !!! Thanks for sharing.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Walter do you use regular bonsai soil for this or you added some organic soil? The reason I asked is because some people recommending too add potting soil to it because they like to stay wet. Mine is not doing too good with a lot of peat and potting soil so that's why I am asking. Thanks you sir!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Walter do you use regular bonsai soil for this or you added some organic soil? The reason I asked is because some people recommending too add potting soil to it because they like to stay wet. Mine is not doing too good with a lot of peat and potting soil so that's why I am asking. Thanks you sir!

I do not use soil at all. The word is substrate! Anything that's granualr, firm, porous plus a bit of rough peat or coconut fibres or crushed bark. Porcelain Berry - related to grape vine

TSC_2183x.jpgPicture of my large

Last edited:

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love vines as they're on of my hometown features (Rimini, Italy). And these ones of yours are a truly beautiful example of proportion and grace.
The quality of them pictures is also fantastic

Top Bottom