Grape Vine #1

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting! Could you please share what's your plan for this vine and how are u going to do it? I guess it won't be hedge pruned... 🤔

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very interesting! Could you please share what's your plan for this vine and how are u going to do it? I guess it won't be hedge pruned... 🤔

Well, it will be developed from what you see. The crown has to stay very small . The trunk is important and not the branches. There will be decorative grapes, I hope. Hedge pruned, of course. It seems you do not understand the method. It's just NOT pinchign in spring and letting grow very long. Then cutting back hard and thus have thickend the branches considerably and layed the ground for many buds close to the trunk. To style a grape to look like a bonsai would be a ridiculous misunderstanding.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not use soil at all. The word is substrate! Anything that's granualr, firm, porous plus a bit of rough peat or coconut fibres or crushed bark. Porcelain Berry - related to grape vine

View attachment 332074Picture of my large
Great find, I like it a lot. Where do you plan on keeping it for the winter? I have one that I keep in the garage with winter temps outside down to -12 (f) and does just fine. My grape also came from a winery all though much squattery and more powerful. Its a Pinot Noir. Be careful when the grapes mature, animals will be after them and may damage the tree getting to them.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great find, I like it
a lot. Where do you plan on keeping it for the winter? I have one that I keep in the garage with winter temps outside down to -12 (f) and does just fine. My grape also came from a winery all though much squattery and more powerful. Its a Pinot Noir. Be careful when the grapes mature, animals will be after them and may damage the tree getting to them.

I keep the tree in a greenhouse around freezing. Garage is fine as they don't need light during dormancy. When the buds open one has to be very careful not to get late frosts. They can be lethal.

Michaelb

Sapling
Reaction score
Wauw really beautiful.
The tree reminds me of an old lady bent over or the ent trees from Lord of the rings.
But they are made with the computer and this one is real....

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not use soil at all. The word is substrate! Anything that's granualr, firm, porous plus a bit of rough peat or coconut fibres or crushed bark. Porcelain Berry - related to grape vine

View attachment 332074Picture of my large
I wanted to mention that my grapevine leaves are substantially smaller then when I got it. Right now I have a lot of leaves on the tree and the leaves are about 1/3 the size of the leaves when I got it. I have a Quercus ilex that did the same thing, leaves about the size of your thumbnail now.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That trunk is beautiful, it’s like the twisted arm of some ancient tree spirit if they existed.

Top Bottom