Grape Vine

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I dug a grape vine yesterday and threw it in a tub with some dry stall. It has some nice bends and is almost 5 inches at the thickest part. Assuming it lives I plan to air layer it from the thickest region or put my carving skills to the test to make something gnarly. From what I've read grape vines are pretty tough and the fall transplanting should be fine for it. I dug the vine with as much roots as I could. Unfortunately what I thought to be a bunch of feeders from the vine actually were roots intertwining from another plant. There are some nice thick roots buried with interesting movement but can't be utilized unless it lives and grows more roots.

20161112_145939_zps9mryvu7w.jpg

20161112_145946_zps4s0fuhfi.jpg

20161112_145950_zpsg6kotis6.jpg

Do I need any special after care for this or as long as I keep the roots moist am I good?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Grapes are normally propagated via cuttings. And even large diameter trunks like this can root. As with all trees, success in transplanting depends on aftercare. Don't let it get too dry. Don't let it stay too wet for too long. Shade in the heat of the day until new growth starts. It should be fine.

Random User

Reaction score
I have some here that are about the same size, but the leaf size has always prevented me from digging them up.

Good luck with your new score.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've seen grape bonsai at a few shows and while unconventional they still look pretty cool. I think some carving and deadwood is a must but I will have to be a bit creative with this vine. Need to grab one of those terrier bits for my dremel though. Those small carbide bits don't cut if if you want to remove a substantial amount of wood.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Vineyard propagators harvest scion wood after leaves drop. Then they wrap them in damp burlap or other damp cloth. Refrigerate for about two to three months, then plant in flats or pots or directly into prepared vineyard beds. They put out roots early in spring. So it is normal to root grape cuttings in autumn. It means the cuttings don't have to support the big leaves until after roots have started to form.

Autumn is the ideal time for grape cuttings and I would assume transplanting too. Don't feel locked into spring transplanting.

Top Bottom