GRAY OAK #2

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is another collected gray oak I purchased from Alvaro in June 2019. Only this time way smaller than my other one. Its small dimensions appealed to me as I have not seen many collected at this size.

I originally was looking to make a shohin planted in a pot of appropriate size. So I set out to repot this tree. As I took soil away from the root ball, the tree took a different character. This is why one cannot make assumptions as to what a tree will look like until the roots and lower trunk are cleaned and carefully examined. After removing most of the old and heavy field soil, the tree suddenly presented itself quite differently. I had to scrap all my preconceptions and adapt to what the tree was now offering.

I tried several pots which were ok. In the end they all were solutions that felt too conventional for this little and rugged wild tree. I looked around for other possibilities. Then I found something in a corner of my garden that seemed to feel just right!

The oak as it looked before the repotting. Probably a very old tree judging from the rugged, fissured bark that was stunted most likely by constant grazing.

IMG_4610.jpg

And here it is after repotting. The result is a rugged composition that I think presents the oak in a better context than if it had been planted in a more traditional container. The roots were carefully cut back where needed but elsewhere they were cleaned and folded underneath the tree to preserve as many as possible and be able to fit them all within the tight space of the driftwood. Keto was used on the outside to hold everything together while I used a mix of akadama and kiryu for the main substrate. The entire piece measures 17" x 18".

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

The buds turn red as they begin to swell in spring adding to the beauty of these oaks. The leaves are quite small on this species as well.

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4642.jpg

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That’s really cool!

When you said “I found something in a corner of my garden,” I was expecting an old, forgotten pot 😂

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Another fine example of when reverse taper is completely acceptable! Keep breaking the rules.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see you are channeling your inner Hagedorn, he would be proud! Perfectly cool little nugget

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice pot and composition. Bjorn Bjorholm did something similar for the Denver Botanic Gardens. He put a Pine and Blue Spruce on a very, very large piece of deadwood. I just took a photo of it the other day. Will have to post it. Good job!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice pot and composition. Bjorn Bjorholm did something similar for the Denver Botanic Gardens. He put a Pine and Blue Spruce on a very, very large piece of deadwood. I just took a photo of it the other day. Will have to post it. Good job!

Yes please post a pic of it!

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here you go, how did you like my Mahogany I just posted, it came from Alvaro? The trees spend the winter in a greenhouse where the temps. are not allowed below 50 degrees (f).

Attachments

• IMG_7397 (2).JPG
    IMG_7397 (2).JPG
    361.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7399 (2).JPG
    IMG_7399 (2).JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 91

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
@MACH5, did you use any kind of wood preservative or hardener on the”pot”?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here you go, how did you like my Mahogany I just posted, it came from Alvaro? The trees spend the winter in a greenhouse where the temps. are not allowed below 50 degrees (f).

Thank you, very interesting!

Sorry I have not seen it. I'll take a look!

@MACH5, did you use any kind of wood preservative or hardener on the”pot”?

I did not. I realize that eventually this tree will need to migrate to something else. That's ok too. But whatever that will be, it needs to be a very non traditional container.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Really cool composition! I think you should name it 'Jackalope,' after the elusive southwestern mammal.
1-Jackalope-Seated-PC-1.jpg
Ryan has a spruce forest that he planted on a large saddle-shaped piece of wood. He said the wood had been preserved by a forest fire (it just looks like deadwood, not charred).

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice!! I like it! 😅

Yes I know the spruce you're talking about. That is very cool that the deadwood was somehow preserved by fire. No such luck with mine. It will last for a while longer (perhaps 2 or three years) but will need to think about by next move.

Or perhaps I really should think about applying some wood preservative.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really cool composition! I think you should name it 'Jackalope,' after the elusive southwestern mammal.
View attachment 331779
Ryan has a spruce forest that he planted on a large saddle-shaped piece of wood. He said the wood had been preserved by a forest fire (it just looks like deadwood, not charred).
You can find "Jackalopes" in almost any tourist shop in the West. There are breeding farms now with deer and rabbit breeding stock. The rarest ones are the "Albino" Jackalopes. Those are released back into the wild.

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, very interesting!

Sorry I have not seen it. I'll take a look!
[/QUOTE]

You might want to get one?

MtnMahogany.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Winter update. This oak maintained very small leaves which was in question when I bought it in 2019. I was expecting larger leaves specially after being repotted but it kept itself quite small. By comparison, my other very large gray oak has much bigger leaves although they are still very small for an oak.

Below is the oak about a week ago. The leaves on this species persist on the tree well into late winter unless they are cut off which is what I usually do. Some even remain green until the very last days of winter!

Until now I left it be and find its way with no wiring and only pruned the stronger shoots and suckers that often appear at the base of older branches.

IMG_7482.jpg

But, after I stripped all the leaves off, I decided to create a different type of image. One that portrayed a tree from a far distance instead of one experienced closer up. With its miniature buds and small delicate branching it lends itself well to such an image.

To complete the composition, I used an unglazed modern style suiban beautifully made by Ron Lang. I think the highly geometric design of the suiban sets off the more wild and natural lines of the tree planted in the driftwood.

I am also trying out my new iPhone 12 Pro Max. It is amazing the quality of the pics it takes!!

I look forward to keep developing it in the coming years.

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4442B.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Love it.

That oxalis would drive me crazy though! 🤣🤣 (Im assuming you left it on to add to the “wild” look )

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
wow I love this, the final composition is gorgeous. I'll be interested to see how this progresses over time!

Top Bottom