Gray Oak in Va.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted this response in another gray oak thread, but didn't want to step on it with photos.

I've had some dieback on smaller branching, but extremely strong push of new foliage on extension growth from last summer. I haven't messed with the roots at all despite the deteriorating collection pot. I am being pretty cautious in how I'm going at it. With this past winter's extremely unpredictable weather pattern, I've been even more cautious--just let it grow.

The new growth this spring was encouraging, however, some of the initial leaves had the same grey out as the leaves that were on it last summer--I suspect a fungal issue. However, since that initial problem, the tree put on dense growth

There seem to be two growth periods, as far as I can see. Early spring and mid-summer, which would make sense in timing--springtime rain, and the summer monsoon season in its native habitat. Stronger, but more localized, growth in the summer period.

As it did last June/July, the tree is pushing new growth on the two foot long extension shoots it grew out last summer. That new growth on the stronger shoots is moving at a half inch per day at this point. I expect them to extend as far as the shoots did last year.

I have been fertilizing with low phosphorous ferts at full strength all summer once a week. It's not a problem as the pumice drains pretty freely.

Insects don't like this tree --at all. Have had only a couple try to chew leaves, but they moved on since the leaves are thick and tough. Along with the fert, I'm also supplementing with Epsom salts every other week--a half teaspoon to a gallon. That helps toughen up the leaves. I do that for all my trees. Works OK.

Obviously, 'll have to post a photo soon.

This species is interesting. Dropping finer branches seems to be in its DNA, given the extensive deadwood on all of these I've seen. That wouldn't be surprising, as its native habitat would force that kind of thing, same as desert juniper species with their deadwood. Surprisingly, or maybe not, the tree seems to like water. I was trying to let the soil dry down, but wound up killing some new growth in early spring. I water every day, sometimes twice in this ungodly heat. Also covering the pot with a white cloth if the temps are forecast to top 90.greyokie1.jpggreyokie2.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice! The bark alone is worth the price of admission on these ancient oaks. I have to try the Epsom salt myself.

Also, have you gotten any acorns on yours. Mine has two tiny ones at the moment.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing bark for sure!
Hope you will keep posting updates on this, it will be very interesting to see where you take it :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! The bark alone is worth the price of admission on these ancient oaks. I have to try the Epsom salt myself.

Also, have you gotten any acorns on yours. Mine has two tiny ones at the moment.
My gray oak has a few. Don't get too attached to them. They're probably temporary. ;-)

My live oak has had them every spring for the last 15 years or so. They're nice, but mostly they drop off after they get to BB size. I've had a few that hung on all summer into the fall and became "regular" acorns, but the squirrels got them.

I think the acorns on the gray oak will drop off soon too, as their stems look to be withering a bit like the stems on the live oak acorns (which has a dozen or so). I think the live oak drops its acorns early because they're probably infertile. There aren't any other live oaks around. Although live oak is a white oak species and can interbreed with other white oak species to a certain extent, I don't think it's that easy for this tree to find a "proper" mate. I wish the squirrels hadn't run off with those mature acorns, as I would have liked to have planted them to see if they were fertile.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been looking at these trees on his site lately and considering getting one, but I've been afraid to try it. It's nice to see you and M5 having some encouraging experiences with them on the east coast.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been looking at these trees on his site lately and considering getting one, but I've been afraid to try it. It's nice to see you and M5 having some encouraging experiences with them on the east coast.

I bought mine as an experiment. It's a relatively expensive failure if things don't work out, but it's not a huge investment.

I will not consider this a successful species here in the east until it's been growing this way for more than three years or so. Things seem to be going well, so far, with the exception of the rotting deadwood.

If I were to get another one, I'd look for one without a lot of deadwood. It's picturesque and everything, but it's also a possible Achilles heel for the tree. The deadwood on these oaks developed in harsh sunshine and dry air. Here in Va., the soggy winters and summertime humidity are making short work of it. It's lost several big chunks of deadwood branches too.

That second photo of the trunk shows how the rot has basically compromised the main trunk. I have heard from friends who work with Japanese-trained bonsaiists that hollow trunked bonsai have a limited shelf life because eventually, trunks rot all the way through and harbor all kind of bad junk over time.

I still have my fingers crossed with this tree. I really enjoy it now and look forward to getting it into a proper training container. Alvaro said the root mass is mostly intact because it was growing in a rock pocket. All he had to do was pry it up. That's great and has allowed it to grow strongly, but looking at the position in the training container tells me the root mass is going to need some serious, but careful, reduction if the tree is ever going to make it into a bonsai pot.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey there Rock. Any updates on this tree? Have you repotted at all and if so what did the root system look like?

Top Bottom