Gray oak

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Anyone ever work with these. They are and evergreen oak , small leaves and are native to west Texas and southern New Mexico. They are locally common in the Organ mountains of NM.

Dwight

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've never seen this one, Quercus grisea, except in pictuers. Oaks tend to be very slow growers, and desert oaks are the slowest of them. I'd suspect that they would have a very larger -- and non-fibrous -- root system because they'll need to go such distanaces to find moisture, so would b tough to dig.

Leaves, while small, aren't particularly attractive.

Reaction score
hey Dwight
i remember seeing a stunted oak tree over in Aguirre Springs on a quick picnic there once.
looked really nice and i instantly thought "what a perfect size bonsai"
did your bonsai survive that cold air blast recently ?
i read in elpasotimes.com that a lot of palm trees and other landscaping plants were affected by it.
take care.
art rodriguez
(former el pasoan)

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Art , thats the tree. I havn't found any small ones yet but I look every time I go up there. I went up today and the oaks looked like crap. These things are supposed to be evergreen but they looked dead to me. Hope it's temporary. The frost ( it got down to -5 at the ranch and 1 above here ) did a bunch of damage. European olives and palms are real popular here. Most of them are dead. I lost a Yupon holly and some of my junies look kinda unhappy. I also have a small pinon pine that looks awful. Funny thing was this happened so fast ( it was 60 the day before ) and only lasted two nights , noone was ready and we didn't have time to do much anyway.

jkl , yep the leaves are small and not particularly pretty but the trees are georgeous when grown. Sounds pretty iffy for someone with no oak experience and almost no collecting experience.

Top Bottom