Great Deal or Buying Junk?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm finally financially caught up enough that I'm in the market for a pair of base level knob/concave cutters. While shopping around during a slow moment at work I've come across this ready made tool kit from Bonsai Outlet.
At $70.95, this really looks like a steal for tools with mostly cosmetic issues, especially considering that any one sells on the same site starting at half the price of this entire 15 piece kit.

I don't shop online much because, frankly, you never know what you're actually getting until you got it, and I don't like the idea of giving someone money and just waiting to find out if they live up to my expectations.
So I'm wondering who here can give me a good idea what to expect from this company, and if I'm looking at a bargain, or maybe should just buy the TinyRoots concave cutters by themselves for now.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: This is my first real bonsai tool purchase I'm looking at here, so I'm not in the market for Kaneshin or the like. DOn't want to break the good stuff learning how to use it properly.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That set looks like it already has rust starting on it. I'd pass on the set to be honest.

Keep in mind with carbon steel tools, you need to be super diligent about cleaning, drying and oiling the tools after every use.

My first set were carbon tools and I kept them good for 3+ years by taking care of them. I would clean and dry them then use a paper towel to coat them with 3 in 1 oil you can get at any hardware store.

Tiny Roots tools are good starter tools

This is also a good first set at about the same price:

When I was upgrading and buying better tools I bought one or two at a time when I could afford it and gradually collected a good set.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have purchased a similar set of tools in the past. The scissors didn’t cut, the knob cutter broke on the first cut, and the wire cutters fell apart. I’d hate to see you spend 70 bucks on this kit and have the same experience.

Now I use Joshua Roth tools which are pretty reasonably priced and I love them. They’re in the same price range as the TinyRoots tool you posted.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm finally financially caught up enough that I'm in the market for a pair of base level knob/concave cutters. While shopping around during a slow moment at work I've come across this ready made tool kit from Bonsai Outlet.
At $70.95, this really looks like a steal for tools with mostly cosmetic issues, especially considering that any one sells on the same site starting at half the price of this entire 15 piece kit.

I don't shop online much because, frankly, you never know what you're actually getting until you got it, and I don't like the idea of giving someone money and just waiting to find out if they live up to my expectations.
So I'm wondering who here can give me a good idea what to expect from this company, and if I'm looking at a bargain, or maybe should just buy the TinyRoots concave cutters by themselves for now.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: This is my first real bonsai tool purchase I'm looking at here, so I'm not in the market for Kaneshin or the like. DOn't want to break the good stuff learning how to use it properly.
Seems like overkill. I would spend more on a good pair of scissors and concave cutters.

I swear by American Bonsai. Haven't tried many others because I haven't had to. They're bulletproof and extremely sharp.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like overkill. I would spend more on a good pair of scissors and concave cutters.

I swear by American Bonsai. Haven't tried many others because I haven't had to. They're bulletproof and extremely sharp.
Thanks.
This just seems like such a good deal, there must be a catch. Seems this feeling is the general consensus.

I'll check out the other brands mentioned.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have purchased a similar set of tools in the past. The scissors didn’t cut, the knob cutter broke on the first cut, and the wire cutters fell apart. I’d hate to see you spend 70 bucks on this kit and have the same experience.

Now I use Joshua Roth tools which are pretty reasonably priced and I love them. They’re in the same price range as the TinyRoots tool you posted.
This is a new name to me. I'll have to look it up myself, but what are your thoughts?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This just seems like such a good deal, there must be a catch. Seems this feeling is the general consensus.
Good tools have a price because there is a cost to making them of the right materials. There is not a lot of margin based on name only. I had to replace my mid-range cutter this weekend, and after discussions with my teacher I went for an upper range tool instead. THis was after him giving me a range of valued tools to try. You do feel the difference in quality when working.

On the most affordable end of the range I have bought 2 knob cutters for work in my field, that I wanted to just have in the car s I always have it when I have time to drop in on my field. They lasted 2 trees befor they were bent. Brought my mid-range tool the next week and finished the pruning without issues.

Unless you have someone that has that exact kit, and couches, stay away from the base range chinese cast iron looks-like-tools steel junk

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally actually read the ad. Seller was HONEST. Ask what is brand of tools. If recognizable brand name would buy as very good deal🤔. Elitist comments aside sometimes good deals actually do happen.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for the help!

You'll really only use four tools out of the fifteen "items" listed, (count the towel and cleaners, c'mon!):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Invest in a good quality set of shears, concave and wen cutters.

Pliers, chisels, wire brushes and wire cutters can be sourced on the cheap. 🤑

Learn to use the tool properly and always bring enough "tool" to get the job done. When half of a cutter flies 20 feet after tackling to much wood, you'll see what I'm getting at!!🤕

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last year I bought off of amazon the Tian tool set and so far it works great and I hope it lasts. It had great reviews!!! This is the set I bought about a hundred over what you were looking at but they also sell items separately too!!
https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Tool-...3578239&sprefix=tian+bonsai+kit,aps,69&sr=8-4 Here is the link
Good luck on your search!!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for the help!

This looks to me like Chinese-made junk. Also looks to have been used badly, as well as being dominated by useless crap--you gonna use the gouges and the narrow branch splitter? (uh, uh. It's mostly useless, same for the two! knob cutters). Not worth the money. Seventy bucks will buy a decent concave cutter and possibly another quality tool.

Shopping only by price and quantity is not a great way to get good tools, but it is a huge draw aimed at beginners. Most beginners want to buy a lot of tools all at once. It's a bad impulse. Money is better spent buying ONE QUALITY tool (every year or when you actually NEED a particular tool) that will work for decades, instead of having to buy the same tool twice or three times in the same period because it doesn't hold up well, or worse, screws up a tree (cheap concave cutters -- and shears, etc.--can have misaligned blades that can tear trees, leave incomplete cuts, etc.).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't bother with that one either. That three pronged root rake indicates to me they don't actually understand bonsai--that thing will destroy a root mass pretty easily...If you look at the seller Soligt, it mostly sells kitchen wares and cookbooks...

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Superfly bonsai has some nice deals on bonsai tools. I have heard that the carbon steel tools break way more easily too. If I were you I think it would be a good Idea to get stainless steel. And buy one at a time or whatever you can afford. That is why for my first set I went with stainless steel. And the tian bonsai tools they will replace them if anything goes wrong, plus the ones I bougth are stainless steel.

Last edited:

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wouldn't bother with that one either. That three pronged root rake indicates to me they don't actually understand bonsai--that thing will destroy a root mass pretty easily...If you look at the seller Soligt, it mostly sells kitchen wares and cookbooks...
It is clearly cheap but had good reviews for a beginner tool.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is clearly cheap but had good reviews for a beginner tool.
Well, um, those reviews look to be written by beginners and people unfamiliar with bonsai tools...just sayin...One said he had to get a replacement because of a misaligned blade...Nice deal on the replacement, but it still points to quality...

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, um, those reviews look to be written by beginners and people unfamiliar with bonsai tools...just sayin...One said he had to get a replacement because of a misaligned blade...Nice deal on the replacement, but it still points to quality...
Nice Bull Terrier. And Thanks for your input!!

Top Bottom