Great Deal or Buying Junk?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally actually read the ad. Seller was HONEST. Ask what is brand of tools. If recognizable brand name would buy as very good deal🤔. Elitist comments aside sometimes good deals actually do happen.
Elitist that I am, I actually looked at the tools. Not worth the money. Common sense is not really an elitist thing. It's just common sense. Also the gunk on the blades of the shears, suggests to me they were used...Yeah, sometimes you get a deal, sometimes deals are too good to be true. Which is more common online? I'll wait...

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for all the feed back, everyone.

Buying one at a time was my plan, but when you stumble across something like this you have to think about it. The listing did say they had sustained some rust and such from improper storage, so I was thinking they might be the same TinyRoots stuff or similar that they normally sell, but severely discounted because of minor/cosmetic damage, and the fact that the buyer can't predict what in the kit might or might not be damaged beyond repair/usability. That's often a risk worth taking because two or three decent tools out of the whole kit and it's paid for itself, more and it's a bargain. There isn't a thing in the whole box I couldn't find a use for somewhere, even if it's not used on bonsai.

That said, I think I'll error on the side of caution and just hunt down the right concave cutters like I originally planned. My finances might be caught up, but that just means keeping them caught up long term has become the priority now.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm rough on.. and forgetful with my tool placement at times...

I buy cheaper tools... but TinyRoots makes the best "cheap tools" I've come across...

I also bought the japanese scissors.. the "known" brand.. but not one of the real expensive 2.. I think it was 60 for the scissors.. works nice..

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I Built a small set of tools purchased from Bonsai Tonight Store , got Kaneshin Knob , Concave , Heavy Duty Scissors, Trimming Scissors and Knipex Wire Cutters for a good price because they’ll last. I also have a brush and crean mate rust remover for maintaining quality

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tools are a very personal thing . I’m generally of the opinion you should purchase at least reasonable quality . Middle of the road so to speak . Or better quality is getting rare today . I can not think of a simpler tool than the one pictured . Everyone has used one . A cheap one basically works the same . Cheap junk is 10% the cost of the one pictured most quality ones around 25 to say 40 % the cost . I’m a auto tech I would not trade this one for anything . Take to long to explain but it has capabilities that make it stand out can do jobs others simply can not . Any that borrow it say it’s the best they have ever used . Everyone has to make there own choice what they want from a tool . And what they are willing to pay for that . But the top of the heap can do things others can not . Most of the time you are not aware what they can do until you own them

Attachments

• 282DFD40-5A98-4F13-A274-32E3E0CE9C43.jpeg
    282DFD40-5A98-4F13-A274-32E3E0CE9C43.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 11

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai tools basically come constructed of 2 metals . High carbon steel and stainless steel . . Both are available in multiple levels of quality and price . Stainless steel don’t rust and in general will not allow the metal to be impregnated with other products . Therefore they sound perfect very low maintenance. The price you pay for this is the metal is not as hard so they will not hold as sharp a edge and dull faster . In general . ( keep in mind stainless steel is not all the same grade ) there are different mixtures . High carbon steel also comes in multiple grades . The steel is harder this allows a hard sharp edge that in general will last longer and make very clean cuts . The down side is rust and metal impregnating . So require more maintenance . And can be quickly ruined by neglect . The classic after use clean them with solvent then wipe them with oil then store them in dry location . Drives a lot of people to stainless . I bring up a simple alternative . After use just store them working end down in a jar or can or bottle of oil . A great choice is ATF car automatic transmission oil . It’s light thin oil has a lot of cleaning detergent in it avail everywhere and cheap . No living thing on your tools is surviving a soak . They will also soak the oil into the tool over time . The all important sharp edge will stay rust free . This can microscopic rust very easy on enemy clean tools in a humid environment . I don’t even clean them before the soak . Use them and just soak . When you need them take them out wipe the oil off as elaborated or not as you please . Will stay super sharp clean and the pivot butter smooth 😎😎👍👍

Top Bottom