Great Lakes Bonsai - content thread

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If there's any interest out there in watching a novice make some mistakes, starting a thread for my channel (Great Lakes Bonsai on youtube, @greatlakesbonsai on instagram), here's some shameless promotion for you to critique! Figured I'd start just one thread instead of clogging the General Discussion section with occasional videos.

Covid-19 lockdown meant re-potting nearly 3/4 of my collection or 40+ trees. I recorded some of it. Learn something new with every tree. As I've heard many say here - only way to truly learn is by making mistakes/going through the actual work, and time. Here's hoping I can look back at these in 20-30 years and say I've made progress.

Most recent linked here, some work on my big Dawn Redwood. Will have 4-5 more on repot work from this spring. Learning lots! Thanks as always for feedback.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chopped up another bit of footage - Amur Maple and Northern Red Oak work.

I have since (this week) carved out the Northern Red Oak - the deadwood was deteriorating and I wanted to give it a clean start - all removed and the rot went relatively deep which was a bummer - but I'm still hopeful for how the shari could contribute to a cool tree long term. It's growing great.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another vid up - this time work on my crabapple (malus) that was purchased on the cheap from the Michigan all-state show. Some ridiculous circling roots that had to be addressed. I like the trunk on this one. Vigorous root system as shown as well!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Summer gets away from ya! Spent 8 hours in the garden today. Just lovely. But finally edited my last Spring Series '20 video - this one work on a trident maple. Cheers.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Summer gets away from ya! Spent 8 hours in the garden today. Just lovely. But finally edited my last Spring Series '20 video - this one work on a trident maple. Cheers.

Very nice, but I thought the Ebihara technique was not just about screwing a plate onto the root base, but also sorting the roots so that they form a radial layer?

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, but I thought the Ebihara technique was not just about screwing a plate onto the root base, but also sorting the roots so that they form a radial layer?
You are spot on. The nails to organize the roots are what I didn’t do (yet... didn’t have the supplies in the moment!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New video from this spring - "Collecting 2020"- up north in the lower peninsula of Michigan. Larch + Thuja. Many learnings! Thanks for watching.

Part 2 coming soon from the fall collecting trip where I got three larch that I think are going to make it!

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sharing my fall collecting video, part 2 for 2020, same property, and still looking for larch. Was able to grab a few great ones and learned a lot from Nick Lenz "Bonsai from the Wild" after a few reads... including the justification for collecting in fall for bog larch per his guidance.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last video of 2020, just snuck it in! Fall update on a couple pieces of future material, ANNNNND featuring a backing track from the one and only @sorce - thanks sir for the access (Check out his site if you haven't, especially those lovely pots)... saving up for a Sorce pot someday for sure. Thanks all for watching and cheers to a healthy 2021 for you and your trees.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1609506766098.png 1609506834681.png

...some shots from https://bonsaiwest.com/ ....you can always squeeze in some "pin-ers" adjacent to a more substantial sized trunk later on to help with spacing.....

was expecting some b-boy flexxin' soundtrack...musta' been a "herbed up" @sorce studio session... ;) 😁😁😁😁😁😷

Good luck with winter @Brad in GR !!:cool:🥶🥶🥶

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That’s an incredible forest. There’s the dream lol. Love how the foliage is kept low. It’s how I see them in nature, at least the larger ones planted in landscapes near me. Thanks much for sharing Lance! Makes me want to shoot for 15-20 trees at least. Golly though, I need a good pot for that....

Top Bottom