Great news for Chicago area: more than 100 great collected trees now avaialble at Hidden Gardens in

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now there are more than 100 grat collected trees avaialable at Hidden Gardens , 16W658 Frontage Rd., Willowbrook, IL 60527.

Call Jeff Schulz for details: 630 655 8283

From the same batch as arrived today at Nature's Way Nursery, Jeff Schulz offers all sorts of very good stuff hand picked by Walter Pall.

For example there are: Rocky Mountain junipers, Engelman spruce, limber pines, Douglas firs, lodgepole pines, great field maples, trident maples, larches and many others.

All these in prime quality and for reasonabel prices, starting at 100, msot around 400 to 600, some 1,000 and more.

IMG_2549.JPG R6DSC_7030w.jpg IMG_2549.JPG

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I've visited this nursery several times over the past five years and their bonsai offerings have dramatically increased every year. I'll be sure to stop by when Im in the area next month.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you are the one responsible for their material!

Been meaning to go back soon!

Sorce

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, $100 sounds reasonable - $400 seems outrageous! I guess I'll stick to urban yamadori

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the material is like what they have at Nature's Way in Pennsylvania (and I would expect so, since it's from the same place), I can say that there is plenty of stock that is more than worth $400+...not outrageous at all for what you're getting.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correct me of I'm wrong, but aren't these collected by the same feller who provides Ryan Neil with his material?

Very good Value!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, $100 sounds reasonable - $400 seems outrageous! I guess I'll stick to urban yamadori

If I lived closer I would have already been there with a wad of borrowed or stolen cash in order to buy a tree hand picked by Walter Pall.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hm.. Say you get a 200 year old juniper... It has been collected, carried out of the mountains, potted up, nursed to health, sat on a bench where it was cared for for 2 years, and brought to a trader..

I suppose it makes sense to pay a carpenter a thousand bucks to build a shed. But a yamadori collector & the trader have to do it for the love of trees ..?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree with the outrage. It's hard work to dig trees from a yard or domestic landscape. Try doing it at 10-14,000 ft with thousand foot drop offs and Mountain Lions and ding bats with guns that don't know what they are doing. Did I mention bears, and over zealous forest rangers. There is nothing worse than a badge connected to an attitude. Though these things are rare it has been shown here that it is possible to encounter unfriendly and dangerous critters where the good trees grow.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with the outrage. It's hard work to dig trees from a yard or domestic landscape. Try doing it at 10-14,000 ft with thousand foot drop offs and Mountain Lions and ding bats with guns that don't know what they are doing. Did I mention bears, and over zealous forest rangers. There is nothing worse than a badge connected to an attitude. Though these things are rare it has been shown here that it is possible to encounter unfriendly and dangerous critters where the good trees grow.
I see your point!
Hm.. Say you get a 200 year old juniper... It has been collected, carried out of the mountains, potted up, nursed to health, sat on a bench where it was cared for for 2 years, and brought to a trader..

I suppose it makes sense to pay a carpenter a thousand bucks to build a shed. But a yamadori collector & the trader have to do it for the love of trees ..?
Points well taken, I hang my head in shame... I guess I'm new enough to this hobby that I have not yet had to spend more than 50 bucks on anything.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
... and over zealous forest rangers. There is nothing worse than a badge connected to an attitude. .

Regarding forest rangers, it brings up a question in my mind: where were these trees dug up, public or private land? and what are the ethics of removing a 200 year old tree from a wilderness area? I ask these questions very sincerely thinking about the preservation of wild and beautiful landscapes that could potentially be over harvested and never be the same.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding forest rangers, it brings up a question in my mind: where were these trees dug up, public or private land? and what are the ethics of removing a 200 year old tree from a wilderness area? I ask these questions very sincerely thinking about the preservation of wild and beautiful landscapes that could potentially be over harvested and never be the same.

Good point, and points often discussed. Number one priority is to make sure you get permission from whoever owns/manages the property. This often mean that national parks and reserves are off-limits to collect. With regards to ethics.. I find it a very dificult point to decide upon. I personally do not have true yamadori, and will most likely never buy one; These plants grow in very harsh conditions, making it near impossible to get seedlings to take root. But there are boundary situations (sheep meadow that has been grazed for generations often have impressive plants, that the farmer would love to see gone).

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With regard to ethics.. I find it a very dificult point to decide upon. I personally do not have true yamadori, and will most likely never buy one; These plants grow in very harsh conditions, making it near impossible to get seedlings to take root. But there are boundary situations (sheep meadow that has been grazed for generations often have impressive plants, that the farmer would love to see gone).

Collecting for bonsai has little impact on the forest. Most of us who have done this in the mountains pass up a thousand trees that are wonderful but uncollectable, before taking one. And there aren't very many people doing the collecting. One could argue that even that one tree taken deserves its life in the wild, but it is a harsh life and there are no guarantees that the next season won't be its last. One of my favorite collecting areas in Colorado was completely burned out by a major forest fire. Were the few trees I collected better off taken, or left to burn? Either way they were not going to be full size Ponderosa pines that regenerate the forest.

Brian

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Correct me of I'm wrong, but aren't these collected by the same feller who provides Ryan Neil with his material?

Very good Value!

Sorce
Yes. Funny what a small world it is. I had contacted both Hidden Gardens and Natures Way about trees(that I'd later learn were)brought to them by Walter only to learn that I can drive 138 miles and get these same great quality trees from the very same collector that supplies many of them. I was at Randys place in Feb and missed out on the BEST tree because Walter had beat me to the punch. That's a great compliment though because it tells me I've got great taste. :p It was a Ponderosa. However I was blessed to be able to get 3 other Ponderosas including one that was in the same group of "best" trees with that one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom