Great Tropical Plant Migration is Over

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not looking for blooms. I have had them bloom before and its nothing to write home about. I had one that was about 4 foot tall with a 6 inch trunk that never went outside because it was too hard to move. It bloomed every year and people always said, I didn't know jade plants bloomed. Being a smart ass I said that all flowering plants bloom.
I gave it away when I closed my store several years ago.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine saw some high 30's last year, just because I knew the temps were going up and I wasn't going to haul everything back and forth. They are close to the house and were fine.
No question they would be fine but let me know if your Willow Leaf defoliates as it has in the past.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had a Jade many years ago that went from a 69 cent Kmart 3" pot to too big for the house. It bloomed and I thought the same, no big deal and certainly not worth waiting 20 years for. It had never been trimmed. I gave it away and didn't go into bonsai until 10 years later.
A friend of my wife moved to FL and gave me 3 large potted ones which I combined into a forest. They will probably never bloom because the forest has to be trimmed at least every year. It's already top-heavy and is hard to move because it wants to rotate.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the number of years untrimmed is pivotal in Jade flowering. Many years. And ~potbound~.
Same rootbound pot since 2016. (A drilled citronella candle holder) Rarely trimmed although a blow over removed a large branch resulting in a pot full of cuttings. Totally neglected tree:) Grimmy's advice on potbound and neglected. Don't want to Jack this fun thread so here is it's own thread from 2016

1632932351166.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same rootbound pot since 2016. (A drilled citronella candle holder) Rarely trimmed although a blow over removed a large branch resulting in a pot full of cuttings. Totally neglected tree:) Grimmy's advice on potbound and neglected. Don't want to Jack this fun thread so here is it's own thread from 2016

View attachment 400386
I recognize that pot. I have one. It came with a citronella candle in it well over 10 years ago.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Probably will, has every winter for 4 years.
Our trops saw a nice freeze last year, LOL. I was a little freaked out but I knew our trops have NEVER come in before high 30s (not saying that is good for them, I'm just lazy and drag my feet on bringing them in!) so hoped that they are used to it a little. Every single one bounced back (some of them had dieback higher up which was fine cause I hadn't trimmed them back all summer).
BUT, kids don't try this at (your) home!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Its really a personal option. When plants cool day it signals for a pause in its growth. I am trying to keep everything growing vigorously as I can. I have done both and have seen the difference.
I'm not getting any younger.
My willow leaves always drop their leaves. Is a period of dormancy good for tropicals? I remember Anthony from the Caribbean (whatever happened to him?) always talk about that in connection with Fukien teas saying that is good for them. I've no idea one way or the other.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've always managed to give my willowleafs some light, but never crazy, and they only ever partially defoliate. Last year, my larger one was able to get solid light and never really defoliated, and even went through a mid-winter repot without a hiccup.

My guess has always been that temps indoors stay warm enough and it was just a matter of getting them enough light. Maybe not.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of mine are all in, everything except a couple rosemary, and a few p. afra (the ones on the right are cuttings I need to give away).

Low temps in the 40s all week.

Need to get a couple more lights and do another shelf, getting a bit crowded.

PXL_20210929_234812157.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Most of mine are all in, everything except a couple rosemary, and a few p. afra (the ones on the right are cuttings I need to give away).

Low temps in the 40s all week.

Need to get a couple more lights and do another shelf, getting a bit crowded.

View attachment 400426
Just showed my gf. And you're in new england. Told her "see, were out there" as in, im not the only crazy one in her mind

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting thread.
I’ve avoided leaf drop on ficus and citrus by moving under the eave of the house for a week or more, then inside with much success. The light shock is, I think, the main stressor that convinces them better to just put out new flush than adjust.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting thread.
I’ve avoided leaf drop on ficus and citrus by moving under the eave of the house for a week or more, then inside with much success. The light shock is, I think, the main stressor that convinces them better to just put out new flush than adjust.
Yeah. I advise people to not take plants directly in or out without a period of in-between shade from the sun exposure. It's like people going from outdoors to a closet, or vice-versa, our light receptors wouldn't be able to adjust on a dime and we'd be temporarily blinded.

Top Bottom