Great Tropical Plant Migration is Over

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah. I advise people to not take plants directly in or out without a period of in-between shade from the sun exposure. It's like people going from outdoors to a closet, or vice-versa, our light receptors wouldn't be able to adjust on a dime and we'd be temporarily blinded.
that’s an excellent example, unless you’re that cat that has glasses that turn into sunglasses when you walk outside, then it’s reversed

it makes sense that tropicals or arid plants given their natural environment and genetics -not exactly four seasons varying…do this

my understanding of most leaves is they are like solar panels that the plant can not just turn off, photosynthesis is a complex machine that demands from top to bottom, is no light switch
succulents are better adapted maybe in the way they can pause the machine to conserve water (CAM)

sometimes maybe, especially in an environment with less flux than a multitude of seasons, it’s just better to drop all the demands of resources exhausting solar panels than risk the potential stress throughout or in other more less adaptive areas of the plant.

because the biology of the plant is dialed to its natural habitat having no idea what winter or that you care (perhaps) exists, going into stasis, allocating resources to ideal and existing conditions makes a lot of sense -although, unlike their natural habitat inside the home is not the sun or perhaps humidity they expect..?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Have they started yet?
No, still growing well, still outside. It's usually like November or so before it drops it's leaves. We'll see what happens this year, but I predict the same.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I've always managed to give my willowleafs some light, but never crazy, and they only ever partially defoliate. Last year, my larger one was able to get solid light and never really defoliated, and even went through a mid-winter repot without a hiccup.

My guess has always been that temps indoors stay warm enough and it was just a matter of getting them enough light. Maybe not.
Mine has a southern exposure and decent grow lights and it still defoliates itself.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have no idea then

it just likes its leaves I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

we’ll see if it does this year or not!
I really think I am going to get rid of it, I never liked it. Just bought it at a show because the guys selling it were from a local bonsai nursery and I wanted to give them some business, They have since retired and closed the shop.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too. I haven't move anything in yet, but I'll need more space and lights.
I need more electricity. When my wife runs the microwave the breaker trips. I need to re-route things, but yes, I have too many lights and two kilns to boot.
Pics of my plants inside, most of them anyway. About 30 larger plants went to my wife's work greenhouse.
IMG_5480.JPGIMG_5479.JPG
IMG_5481.JPGIMG_5483.JPG
IMG_5485.JPGIMG_5488.JPG
IMG_5487.JPGIMG_5489.JPG
IMG_5486.JPGIMG_5482.JPG

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah. I advise people to not take plants directly in or out without a period of in-between shade from the sun exposure. It's like people going from outdoors to a closet, or vice-versa, our light receptors wouldn't be able to adjust on a dime and we'd be temporarily blinded.
This seems so obvious but, I've never done it. In spring I ease them into the sun so in fall... Moving them to the North side today:) Thanks

My Willow Leaf never has defoliated w/out scissors or once scale. (until this year I bet) LOL

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it's a combination of light and heat on a sliding scale for Willowleaf, light being more important, but without enough heat, light needs to increase. The higher up in my greenhouse it is kept, the better it does. I can keep about 20% of plants higher up that gets more sun and higher temps, and it's always a difficult decision who to favor.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I need more electricity. When my wife runs the microwave the breaker trips. I need to re-route things, but yes, I have too many lights and two kilns to boot.
Pics of my plants inside, most of them anyway. About 30 larger plants went to my wife's work greenhouse.
View attachment 400480View attachment 400481
View attachment 400482View attachment 400483
View attachment 400484View attachment 400485
View attachment 400486View attachment 400487
View attachment 400488View attachment 400490
This is what I have been waiting for. Nice set up.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
View attachment 400480View attachment 400481
View attachment 400482View attachment 400483
View attachment 400484View attachment 400485
View attachment 400486View attachment 400487
View attachment 400488View attachment 400490
Holy cow! No wonder you had to start moving them early. I need to show this to my husband in case he notices I will have an extra plant stand this year, as well as one in the garage. ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy cow! No wonder you had to start moving them early. I need to show this to my husband in case he notices I will have an extra plant stand this year, as well as one in the garage. ;)
Yeh, well now its looks like its going to be warmer than usual for awhile. But that's ok, what's done is done. I think the young plants in particular will appreciate nighttime temps being 20 degrees warmer. I really want them to grow this winter and have had pretty good success in the past couple years. By eliminating that rapid cool down and heating back up again, the more stable environment will keep them active.
Tell you husband you only have a mild case of the disease that infects me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm trying to figure out if there are bulbs that can be used in a living setting that don't fry your eyeballs off after too much exposure.

A few folks have some great shelving setups, I'm just curious about other options. I'm assuming that's a pipe dream though.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm trying to figure out if there are bulbs that can be used in a living setting that don't fry your eyeballs off after too much exposure.
Share, please, if you find lights fit for human eyes. I have promised that the lights in our shared living space will go off a 5PM when my husband comes home from work. Lights in my office are on until bedtime.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wear blue blocker glasses in my plant room. The blue light, like in 6500k grow bulbs is the upper end of what eyes should be exposed to, and then it is best to wear glasses, blue blockers or even sun glasses. A warmer light, about 2700 - 4200 K is best for living areas. It has a more yellow cast. I use no grow lights in our living area and the bedroom setup goes on at 7 and off my 9 when bedroom is not in use. Except when I sleep in and then my eyes are closed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Remember the old mirror trick: you can put the kind that mount on the backs of doors on the shelf or sideways at an angle to increase light delivery.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah my hunch is that it's a pipe dream

Never know what technology has come up with though

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know if this has been mentioned, or if it's any use, but I've been wondering if natural light tubular skylights are of help?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
old mirror trick
I am using reflective Mylar like that used in grow tents. It is light, flexible and for reasons I don't understand, it is more effective than a mirror. I read a study many years ago that listed the reflective light capabilities of different finishes and it indicated that flat white paint was more effective than a mirror.
I've been wondering if natural light tubular skylights are of help?
I have wondered this myself. I think it would be great to bring free light into the house but feel that these are designed to please the human eye and not the plant's leaf. I am anxious to know so I will wait to see if someone with experience chimes in.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I usually wait until solid 40's at night....but maybe I should pull them in now....
I think I pulled them in in September last year.
Still rocking and rolling out there now though and we're heating up this weekend.

Top Bottom