Greatest/Favorite Western Bonsai Artist II - Poll

Who is your favorite Western bonsai artist?

• Vaughn Banting

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Guy Guidry

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Michael Hagedorn

• Marco Invernizzi

• Mario Komsta

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Nick Lenz

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Boon Manikitivipart

• John Naka

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Walter Pall

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Antoni Payeras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wolfgang Putz

• Dan Robinson

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Enrico Savini

• Kathy Shaner

• Suthin Sukosolvisit

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • William N. Valavanis

• Hans Van Meer

• Other

• Total voters

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Greatest/Favorite Western Bonsai Artist II

Maybe a poll will reveal some interesting results, and increase participation.

Votes are anonymous, you can only vote once!

I definitely will have missed some great artists in the poll - sorry!

This is just for fun!

Edit: oops already realized I forgot Yuji Yoshimura :( don't think I can edit the poll....

Last edited:

ginger

Sapling
Reaction score
King Kong! hands down..........

Daysleeper

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I voted "Other" in favor of Randy Clark. He is so good with deciduous trees and flowering species.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was difficult...But I chose Mario Komsta. I love his work with Shohin.

Lee

Seedling
Reaction score
Not a credible list when Steve Tolley isnt on there,he is winning styling and supplying more tree's than any other european,and you could also insert salvatore's and david benavente's names there.these are the 3 masters who count in europe other than marco

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
NB: there is also a limit to the number of options in the poll :(

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
But your poll has people thinking.

It was a tough decision: many deserving candidates! I voted for Kathy Shaner, because she's always teaching and sharing knowledge -- even in her side comments as she works on a tree.

For any who care to say: why did you vote for who you voted for?

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I voted for walter pall because I like his work and has always helps me when I ask him for help.
Although I like Dave Kreutz the best. I am a satsuki person and Dave grows really good azaleas.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I expect Walter to get a lot of votes in this poll...

He has been very generous to the online community with his dedicated blogging and contributions to the various forums.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chase Rosade is and has been very important to Western Bonsai. He is one that should not have been left out.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I voted for Marco, because I have the two most expensive ball caps on the planet.

Keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am happy to announce that the artist who procures the most votes in this prestigious poll will be awarded 100 000 internet dollars, paid by me personally!

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
What about Warren Hill? He's grown most of his trees from seed or cuttings for god's sake. In other words he's a grower as well as a stylist.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As mentioned in the original post, I knew I would forget some people... Warren Hill can be added to that list. To give him a vote, just vote "other" and mention that your vote would have chosen him.

You can probably tell that my familiarity with N. American artists is greater than that of Europeans, and that is reflected in my list.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
As mentioned in the original post, I knew I would forget some people... Warren Hill can be added to that list. To give him a vote, just vote "other" and mention that your vote would have chosen him.

You can probably tell that my familiarity with N. American artists is greater than that of Europeans, and that is reflected in my list.

Warren is from California, and lives in East Tennessee now. I understand we're you're coming from though.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
lol oops! always thought he was from the UK :eek:

J W

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Jim Gremmel should be thrown in this list also...

J W

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Over at IBC gallery Mark Arpag from Rochester, NY had this to say:

"Well... I would not let that cheesy poll go to your head. Those voters are the same people that gather for the longest lines at the carnival, greasy bits and the bearded lady.

Mark"

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
I voted Nick Lenz. I love his work and have seen several of his trees in person. But that's not why I voted for him.

I love the idea of a renegade. A person who learns a craft and then moves beyond it's boundaries. I see Nick as a crotchety old man, highly opinionated, alot of foul language, breath smelling of elderberry, and well, a guy who could care less what other people think of him.

In the world of flyfishing (which I am deeply involved) there is a man equally equipped to venture into the opposite extreme of the craft. He is Jack Gartside, also a hero of mine for the exact same reason I like Mr Lenz.

I guess I find those people willing to risk popularity and attainment of some ephemeral pop-star status more to my liking.

I would also vote Nick Lenz as the person least likely to see this poll. (of course I mean the living person, least likely to see this poll)

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Over at IBC gallery Mark Arpag from Rochester, NY had this to say:

"Well... I would not let that cheesy poll go to your head. Those voters are the same people that gather for the longest lines at the carnival, greasy bits and the bearded lady.

Mark"

Well, he's got a point there, the poll is cheesy and the results are heavily biased and mean almost nothing, except that people on this forum really respect your work...

Nevertheless, Mark didn't have to be a douche about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom