Greedy little fu**ers!!!

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I haven't used any pesticides on any of my plants because everything was newly collected and I was just plain scared of hurting any new growth this year but these little fuckers are gonna eat everything away if I don't kill em. I think it a type of catapillar. Any recommendations on pesticides that's good for trees collected this season and seedlings grown this year?

Attachments

• 20200812_172933.jpg
    20200812_172933.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200812_172928.jpg
    20200812_172928.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 135

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
There's alot of em and sum are smaller like a big 1 had babies. Anyway there's a good bit of trees in the greenhouse and I thought a pesticides would remove and prevent for the sake of all the trees

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pesticides kills everything on your tree....friendlies too.
I use a product that contains Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria. It's a biological spray on. It targets caterpillars only. Works beautifully. Hopefully you can find something similar.
IMG_20200813_102234.jpg

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I use a product that contains Bacillus thuringiensis bacteria. It's a biological spray on. It targets caterpillars only. Works beautifully. Hopefully you can find something similar.
View attachment 322535
Thanks to Amazon I go!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What!?

You gotta look that up, I do? ,Ok I probably will....

But what is it shitting fuzzy turds?

Looks like 2 different pests that camoflouge with each other .....a symbiosis of sort.

I don't reckon this stage of insect has babies.

If those little turds are something else ......
You may need mechanical removal after all.

Sorce

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
What!?

You gotta look that up, I do? ,Ok I probably will....

But what is it shitting fuzzy turds?

Looks like 2 different pests that camoflouge with each other .....a symbiosis of sort.

I don't reckon this stage of insect has babies.

If those little turds are something else ......
You may need mechanical removal after all.

Sorce
I was kinda hoping they were the web worm. They resemble the pic fredman posted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200813-085435_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200813-085435_Chrome.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 80

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The little nuggets look like wooly aphids, kinda.

Sorce

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Until you get your chemical of choice, just pick them off. Or take the affected trees away from the rest of your collection and try spraying them off with water.

If you pick them off, you might want to wear gloves. Some caterpillars have toxic hairs that can cause a skin reaction. I don't know what kind these are.

Edit to add...looks like it might be fall webworm. Get us a clear close-up photo if you can.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Until you get your chemical of choice, just pick them off. Or take the affected trees away from the rest of your collection and try spraying them off with water.

If you pick them off, you might want to wear gloves. Some caterpillars have toxic hairs that can cause a skin reaction. I don't know what kind these are.

Edit to add...looks like it might be fall webworm. Get us a clear close-up photo if you can.
So here's pics of the big fuckers which I think are webworm and the little fuckers which is still tbd

Attachments

• 20200813_161947.jpg
    20200813_161947.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200813_162136.jpg
    20200813_162136.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 47

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, those little ones - are they attached to the leaf? Are they alive (do they move)? They might be shed skins -I know many caterpillars go through several molt cycles where they shed and leave the remnants behind. That's what it looks like.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Oh, those little ones - are they attached to the leaf? Are they alive (do they move)? They might be shed skins -I know many caterpillars go through several molt cycles where they shed and leave the remnants behind. That's what it looks like.
So u were right no movement from the little fuzzies on the second pic you can see a little tiny hole where the body use to be. I even squished 1 and there was nothing. So I guess its safe to call these webworms. Boy they can chow down!!! Greedy bastards

Attachments

• 20200813_193331.jpg
    20200813_193331.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20200813_193406.jpg
    20200813_193406.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 31

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
View attachment 322535

Ive had great success with this as well. But I also have to remove by hand too (bad caterpillar problems here)

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Diatomaceous earth powder will kill most pests quickly with no risk to your tree. Non-toxic when ingested, but wear a mask/respirator

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Diatomaceous earth powder will kill most pests quickly with no risk to your tree. Non-toxic when ingested, but wear a mask/respirator
Do you have experience with it? Because I have always taken it as a hoax. Does not make sense for bugs to be affected by dust

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Amen! And it's impossible for your standard housewife to ever see the effects of the placebo.

People on the chicken forum call or a hoax too.

The physical effects they say it has, shouldn't be negated by water, yet there are those earthworms all in my DE.

Quite like Deisel, a by product of Gasoline which sells for more than gasoline, one of the easiest ways to make a profit, is to come up with a way to sell byproduct.

And so a hoax is born.

Sorce

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you have experience with it? Because I have always taken it as a hoax. Does not make sense for bugs to be affected by dust

Yup, just the other day I had an aphid infestation on my pepper plants and crushed a bunch of 8822 to a fine powder and poured it over the whole plant. Next day, I counted maybe 10 down from hundreds and hundreds. I've used it to great effect many other times, but personal anecdotes aren't worth much. It's a well-established remedy, efficacious enough to where I dont feel the need to reach for a chemical insecticide. Powdered Silica, the stuff you find in those little packets in your shoes, is another great one. Dries the little bastards out like beef jerky. I've taken care of numerous bedbug infestations with it. More "powerful" but harder to find and messier.

These methods have worked for me in the past, and I like that they are non-toxic but I wouldn't hesitate to escalate if I felt they weren't sufficient for the problem at hand.

Top Bottom